Wednesday, March 30, 2011

TOS Review: Latin Alive!

Photobucket

Recently I was given the chance to try out Latin Alive! (6th grade and above) by Classical Academic Press. First let me go over the specifics of the program. I love how the goal of Classical Academic Press is to thoroughly teach classical subjects creatively. Isn't that a neat concept?

Latin Alive! Book One - Click Image to Close

I received the Latin Alive! 1 Bundle ($139.95) that includes the teacher manual, student manual, seven DVDs with over 15 hours of teaching, and an audio CD. I was thrilled to receive this simply because I have never taken Latin nor do I speak it obviously. Having to teach this to my 14 year old son with no background on my part was a bit intimidating. However, thankfully I didn't have to. Since the Latin Alive! 1 Bundle comes with teaching DVD set as well as a CD to help with proper pronunciation, my son had access to a highly knowledgeable Latin teacher. Here is a sample video of what the DVD's hold:


Latin Alive! Book 1 includes:
  • Thirty six weekly chapters including twenty nine new content chapters and seven review, “reading” chapters.
  • Pronunciation Guides
  • Weekly introduction of vocabulary
  • Thorough grammar explanations including all five noun declensions and cases, all verb conjugations, irregular verbs, various pronouns, adjectives and adverbs
  • United States state seals and their Latin mottos
  • Extensive study of the Latin derivatives of English words
  • Substantial Latin readings and translation exercises
  • Lessons and stories of Roman culture, myths and history
  • Exercises and questions to prepare students for the National Latin Exam and the Advanced Placement Exam
  • Includes historical contributions from Christopher Schlect, historian and Academic Dean at New Saint Andrews College, Moscow, ID

Sample chapters of the student book, teacher manual, and supplemental reading can be viewed under the description of Latin Alive! Book 1. Another added bonus is Headventure Land which allows for added fun practice of the Latin Alive! series.

Here is a great video of an overview of the entire Latin curriculum from Classical Academic Press:


My thoughts:
We have never attempted Latin study prior to trying Latin Alive! Book 1. To say I was a bit nervous about it would probably be an understatement. I completely agree with what Christopher Perrin states in the above video about the benefits of learning Latin. I once worked in the medical field and a knowledge of Latin would have been most helpful in my medical terminology course!

However, I knew that this would be a good fit for my son. While I knew it would be challenging since he has no background in Latin, the DVD's helped immensely. He is very much a visual learner (as am I) and to have this course be taught by someone like Karen Moore was amazing for me.

She made Latin look easy. She was engaging to watch and easy to follow. It definitely took the pressure off of me to have to learn how to pronounce Latin. I knew I would have butchered it horribly.

The funny thing (coincidence? No, definitely God-led) is that I am currently researching curriculum for my oldest son for next year. I am attempting to find as many DVD/video based programs as I can since I feel that will be the best fit for him. I received this product before I had figured this out.

We will be continuing to learn Latin over the course of the next year. I look forward to seeing how B14 does and how it integrates into his other learning areas.

Be sure to head over to the TOS Homeschool Crew blog to see what other Crew members had to say about the Latin products they received. Others received Classical Academic Press' Song School Latin (grades K-3) or Latin for Children (grades 3-5).




Disclaimer: I was not paid for this review.  All opinions shared are my own. TOS Crew Members are given the product free of charge in exchange for our unbiased opinion of the product.

1 comment:

  1. Please, please, keep the Latin and encourage B14 as much as you can. I had two years in high school (which really dates me), and that, along with speech, have been the ones which have helped me most in life. The ability to know and understand the structure of a word is priceless and the knowlege of prefixes, root words and suffixes whill enable one to automatically know the meaning of a word. I am just so happy to see such a program available to homeschoolers.

    ReplyDelete

Oh thank goodness! I'm not here all alone. Thanks for leaving me a comment. It helps that I'm not always talking to myself. Right? Hello?