Wednesday, January 9, 2019

#Goals


There's just something about a fresh new year starting that makes people, young and old, resolve to change. People have been making promises at the start of the year for thousands of years. However, I don't know about you, but when I resolve to do something, I am really just setting myself up for failure. After all, the opposite of resolve is failure. For if I haven't met my resolution, I have failed to meet it.

In honor of that, this year I decided to just set some goals. Yeah, I know. I can still fail to meet my goals and many people do. One thing I've learned over the past year is that mindset plays a bigger role than we give it credit.

For example, if I say the word "CrossFit" what's the first thing that pops in your head? Elite athlete? Someone with a six pack ab and some to spare?

I know I for one had that mindset not that many years ago. And then the gym I teach at and workout at made the switch. The owner and another trainer went to a Level 1 CrossFit certification this past summer and suddenly I no longer workout at a gym. 

I now work out at a "box" which is CrossFit speak for gym. I have learned that DL means deadlift and SDHP means sumo deadlift high pull. I've been learning what a push press and a push jerk look like. I've been doing a lot of rowing and running and jumping rope. 

And I've also learned that I love it. I especially love anything to do with weightlifting. That made me start to think about goals.

Yup, this is me at the gym. 
I'm lifting 55 pounds here. 
And my shirt? 
It says Push Your Limits. 
That seems pretty appropriate. 

One of the trainers at the gym has been doing Strongman challenges. Now those are a bit crazy! It's all about lifting heavy stuff, moving heavy stuff, lots of heavy stuff. But it made me start to think. I like lifting heavy stuff. So I talked with the trainer and made a crazy goal for 2019. 

I'm in my fourth decade of life and rounding the bend to that fifth one rather faster than I would like. So I'm going to chalk this up to a mid-life crisis, but I'm okay with that. You see, in April 2019, I will be competing in my first ever Strongman Competition. 

But the great thing about mindset is there is a trickle down effect. You see I started thinking and planning for that goal at the end of 2018. I started training for it yesterday. This means I have to really start dialing in my nutrition so that I can nourish my body well so I can lift this crazy heavy stuff and avoid injuries. Mindset, in my opinion, is often more important than talent or anything else when it comes to change. 

I have resolved to stop thinking and talking negatively about what I'm accomplishing. I'm simply going to enjoy the process and keep my mind focused on the positive and the goal ahead. Positive thinking can take one a long way. 

2 comments:

Oh thank goodness! I'm not here all alone. Thanks for leaving me a comment. It helps that I'm not always talking to myself. Right? Hello?