Tuesday, October 18, 2016

20th Year


It's hard to believe that I have a twenty year old son...but I do. It seems just mere days ago he looked like this...


Okay - maybe more like this...


But now the boy is no longer a boy but a man and looks like this...


I love that he loves books as much as I do. He actually packed up all of his books and brought them to college with him. Only to realize that he didn't have room for them and we hauled them all home two weeks later. 

Yes, my oldest is now in college and I couldn't be more proud of him and what he is accomplishing. This quirky boy of mine is finding his "people" and doing well in an environment that pushes his limits daily I expect. 

He started two weeks early as part of a student intensive program. He passed the English portion (yeah!) which meant he could attend a regular English class rather than the workshop class. I actually had every confidence he would do this. The added benefit is that he was on campus two weeks before all the other students and was able to get comfortable with his dorm room and getting around campus. It also meant we all missed the craziness of move-in day! At least this year. Next year we'll have to deal with that. 

He is currently attending a local community college. Well, local in that it's less than an hour's drive away. He is living on campus and seems to be thriving and doing well. His goal is to get an associate's degree in General Studies and get all of those pesky required classes out of the way at a smaller campus. And we are happy as well because it is a less expensive campus! Then he will transfer to the more local (20 minutes away) state university and study creative writing. 

His goal is to one day write the story lines for video games. I have challenged him to write a story next month during National Novel Writing Month. I'm writing as well so we'll hopefully hold each other accountable.

I love seeing him grow and thrive. I love seeing him gain confidence in his abilities and in himself. I love seeing him stretch himself and push limits and boundaries. I simply love this man my boy has become.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Oh thank goodness! I'm not here all alone. Thanks for leaving me a comment. It helps that I'm not always talking to myself. Right? Hello?