Thursday, June 14, 2007

Book Review: A Voice in The Wind by Francine Rivers

This is the first book I read for the Summer Reading Challenge that De'Etta is holding over at her blog. (Choosing Joy) I've read it before & really enjoyed it. On reading it again, I liked it even more.

I tend to read books for enjoyment that are light & fluffy. You know, the ones that have an enjoyable storyline - even totally engrossing - but you don't have to think too hard to enjoy. I read to escape - I always have. I like to read things that don't require my brain to do more than see the pictures in my mind as I read the words. I'm sure many of you know what I'm talking about. This is most likely the reason my non-fiction list will take me a LONG time to get through. ::big grin::

However, A Voice in the Wind does something more for me. It did it the first time I read & the second time. I enjoy the storyline - a lot. Hadassah is a young Jewish girl who gets caught up in the destruction of Jerusalem by Romans back in the early time of Christianity. Jesus has come & been crucified. As a child her father was raised from the dead by Jesus. The Christian faith is still new. Then Romans come & conquer. Her entire family dies & she is left alone in the world - a world where she is now a slave. Yet, her faith is strong & continues to grow. She serves her new family/mistress wholeheartedly. Not because she has to (although she does) but simply because she is doing it all for God. Her life doesn't remain wonderful - or maybe not in the way she first thought or hoped or I, as a reader, would have anticipated.

I won't give away the ending, but it is a fantastic book to read to see how those early Christians suffered for their new faith. It makes me realize that the faith I live is so small compared to those early Christians who had to meet in secret & didn't even have a Bible (I have four of my own plus the ones my hubby & children have). It amazes me & makes me yearn for a closer relationship with my Lord. It also portrays the depravity of Roman very well & I saw many parallels with our current state of affairs in the world. I'm eagerly waiting for the next book to arrive from the library.

2 comments:

  1. I just started this book last night! Glad to see someone else has already read it! It'll motivate me to get into the book sooner. It ALWAYS takes me awhile to get into a book and then after I do I can hardly put it down... but for me, it's like most things... I just need to get started!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, this is one of the best books EVER. I read it three years ago as we were studying the time period. Definitely read the other two in the series! I bought the set for my mil when she had foot surgery too.

    ReplyDelete

Oh thank goodness! I'm not here all alone. Thanks for leaving me a comment. It helps that I'm not always talking to myself. Right? Hello?