Sunday, September 2, 2007

What a Delivery!

In anticipation of my FIL's retirement, he bought a portable sawmill. We actually have a working sawmill here, but the logs have to come to it. The motor that runs it is an old car engine that doesn't work so well anymore. The men spend more time tinkering on the engines sometimes than actually cutting wood. My in-laws actually live in a log house they built themselves from logs cut from the property we live on & cut in that very sawmill.

Since my hubby & I have moved here three years ago, the sawmill has gotten quite the workout. We've built a porch & an addition on to our trailer. My FIL even built a garage before we moved here & we replaced my inlaws deck this summer.

In the works is a garage for my BIL (who works on cars here - he actually lives in Boston) & eventually a new house for us. As to my FIL's retirement, he is planning on selling lumbar cut from the property.

Needless to say, the arrival of the sawmill was a huge source of excitement for my boys. It arrived on the back of an 18-wheeler.

The very amusing part of this whole thing...my inlaws received a call from the driver. He was three miles away but he refused to come further. He had orders not to drive on dirt roads. You cannot get to our house unless you drive on a dirt road. They are nice - for the most part - but definitely not paved. They called the main office & found out it was camp roads they didn't want them on, so he was finally given the green light to come on, but I really think he was pretty nervous about the whole thing. I figured if they could deliver our trailer here, a regular 18-wheeler shouldn't have a problem.

There were two very large pallets on the back of the truck that my FIL had to unload. Thankfully he has a tractor & was able to do that. They did have to break the pallets down. I sent B to get some photos for me.

4 comments:

  1. LOL. That's what we thought with our moving van. But the driver said NO WAY could he get his truck down our road. The neighbor told us that HE'd had the biggest truck there was go up--and back down--his driveway without any problems. We were not too happy.

    But then the neighbor saw the 80+ foot semi truck at the end of the street--and told us that his moving truck was the biggest it could be WITHOUT being an 18 wheeler.

    I'd laugh here, but I'm still rather hoping they won't charge us $800 for the shuttle van they had to use. (eyes rolling)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks fun! I look forward to watching you some day build that home from logs off the land.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not showing this to Brian...he has been dreaming of a portable band-saw mill for ages. He keeps telling me I need to get a grant as a woman small business owner, buy the mill and he'll work for me! LOL

    Your FIL is going to have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW! That sounds quite exciting. I can hardly wait to see more pictures of the saw mill. And it sure would be fun to dream of building a log home from wood on your very own land! WAY COOL!

    ReplyDelete

Oh thank goodness! I'm not here all alone. Thanks for leaving me a comment. It helps that I'm not always talking to myself. Right? Hello?