Friday, October 23, 2009

Review: Educaching

Photobucket

Educaching is a the newest product I'm checking out for the TOS Homeschool Crew. Educaching takes the use of GPS units (Global Positioning System) and uses it for the classroom. I am brand new to using a GPS but I have friends who love it. I've been wanting to try it out for a bit but I never had the time nor a GPS unit. However, my hubby bought one just last year so this seemed the perfect time to try it out.

While their product normally comes in a 3-ring binder with a CD for customizable templates (for $32 plus s&h and applicable taxes), the TOS Homeschool Crew was given a direct download to the entire book. The book includes five sections:
  • Teacher's Training
  • Lessons Plans (there are 20)
  • Field Sheets (to collect the data that goes along with the lesson plans)
  • Acquiring a GPS
  • Beyond the Basics
It is obvious from the get-go that this book was written for a classroom setting. Each lesson plan outlines the "National Teaching Standards" as well. This becomes more obvious in section four when it talks about writing grants in order to obtain a number of GPS units for the classroom. I also felt that some of the lessons plans would be difficult to accomplish with a smaller group of students at home.

Having said all that though, I thought it was a very cool way to learn as did my kids. Each lesson outlines what the objective is & what materials are needed. The procedure is fully explained in which the data is collected. Data collection sheets are also included which is very helpful. The next section is called "Back at Headquarters" when the students analyze the data collected. Variations of each lesson plan is also included.

Samples of two lessons plans can be found on their website: Which Tree is Which (beginner level) & Rain Birds (intermediate level). You can also find the forward to the book at their website as well.

Educaching is certainly a fun way to spend time outdoors having fun and learning all at the same time. And the best part - the children won't even realize they are learning anything. They'll just be having fun!


*Disclaimer: I was not paid for this review. All opinions shared are my own. TOS Crew Members are given the product free of charge in order to review it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Oh thank goodness! I'm not here all alone. Thanks for leaving me a comment. It helps that I'm not always talking to myself. Right? Hello?