Friday, October 16, 2009

TOS Freebie: Autum Unit Study



The Old Schoolhouse Magazine® is giving away a very neat resource. It's an 80+ page unit study & lapbook about Autumn! Here in Maine, Autumn is waning fast & winter is coming on strong, but the leaves are still beautiful & falling all around us. I know that some of you don't have the wonderful seasonal changes we have here in the northeast (okay, I may say something different in a few months when there is all that white stuff on the ground) but what a great way to talk about what seasons look like in other parts of the US and world.

These are new projects from TOS that include a one week unit study with lapbook components to help reinforce the learning. The term "download n go" describes how easy they are to use. They are designed for just that - download them & use them. Easy-peasey.

So what's included? (taken from Autumn Treasures)

Daily Objectives

Day 1: What is Autumn?
1. What are seasons?
2. What is autumn?
3. What changes happen in autumn?
4. What causes seasons?

Day 2: Science Secrets of Autumn
1. Let’s take a look at leaves and why they change color.
2. Where do leaves change color?
3. How are nuts and acorns spread in autumn?
4. What is a harvest moon?

Day 3: People and Places of Autumn
1. Who was Johnny Appleseed?
2. What is an apple, and where do they grow?
3. What is a hemisphere, and where are the Northern and Southern Hemispheres?
4. What is a harvest, and what is being harvested near you?

Day 4: Time for Tips and Treasures of Autumn
1. How do animals & people prepare for winter during autumn?
2. Develop a time chart of the earth’s position during the seasons.
3. Investigate migrating Monarch butterflies.
4. Learn about the life cycle of pumpkins.

Day 5: Goodies and Gadgets of Autumn
1. Where does popcorn come from, and how does it pop?
2. Study the history and manufacturing process of candy corn—that fun autumn candy.
3. How do they make apple cider?
4. Gather together the week’s nature-walk collection.

If you'd like a copy of this resource, just go to the TOS Store Page.

I will add this - I have DSL & it took me forever to get this resource downloaded. I have heard from friends with dial-up who cannot get it to download for them as it's such a large file. Thankfully the product stays in your account for 30 days & you get 20 downloads of it (I'm now down to 11). I ended up having to close all other programs & just let this download go in order for it to work. Although this was a bit frustrating, it was worth the wait though!

Happy Autumn!


1 comment:

  1. I have fairly good dsl and it took me 3 or 4 tries to download it.

    We have only done a few of the activities so far but they were fun. I'm thinking of it more as a fall season unit study rather than a week long study. LOL

    ReplyDelete

Oh thank goodness! I'm not here all alone. Thanks for leaving me a comment. It helps that I'm not always talking to myself. Right? Hello?