Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Review: Lesson Planet

Photobucket

Have you ever found yourself trying to fill some gaps, fill some time, have some fun, or just wanting to do something different with your children? Enter Lesson Planet.

Lesson Planet is a "search engine for teachers" with over 225,000 lesson plans and worksheets. You can search by grade level, keyword, and ratings (that others have given to that particular plan). You can also simply browse by subject, calendar, theme, or find help with with lesson planning. The worksheets can also be searched by subject or theme.

This site is geared for public school teachers. The majority of the lesson plans I looked at were written in "teacher-speak" with objectives and materials and standards met listed. I sometimes find this a stumbling block but one that isn't huge. However, the first time I sat down to browse the site I found more broken links than good links. While Lesson Planet makes it really easy to report broken links, I finally gave up looking around simply because I encountered so many.

Another issue I have - minor though it may be - is that when you do find something worth checking out, it opens on the same screen instead of in a new tab/window. Yes, I can right click and do that myself and I do, but it seems that should be built in to the website.

Overall, I think this website has a lot to offer especially to public school teachers. I also see it being beneficial to homeschoolers who are either planning to put their children back in public school at some point and want to continue following a public school model or just need some help getting started.

Lesson Planet does have a "homeschooling web guide for teachers" geared directly to homeschoolers. 

At $39.95 per year, I just can't justify the cost for myself. Even though I did find some fun things on there, it took a really long time to do so. I find that if I need a supplement for my homeschool I can usually find it faster and easier myself.

Lesson Planet offers a 10 day trial in order to see if it would work for you. I would recommend taking advantage of that.

Check out what my other TOS Crew Mates are saying over at the TOS Homeschool Crew blog.



*Disclaimer: I was not paid for this review. All opinions shared are my own. TOS Crew Members are given the product free of charge in exchange for our unbiased opinion of the product.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Oh thank goodness! I'm not here all alone. Thanks for leaving me a comment. It helps that I'm not always talking to myself. Right? Hello?