Friday, April 23, 2010

Review: Super Star Speech & Games

Photobucket

I'm pretty familiar with speech therapy as B13 had three years of it when he was a preschooler. He attended a developmental preschool for two years (ages 3 & 4).  He then did another year of therapy at the local elementary school when he was five years old. At the time I thought that was my only choice - the only way to help him communicate verbally.

I didn't have access to a product like Super Star Speech. Super Star Speech was developed by Debbie Lott, a homeschool mom of four children with a Master's degree in Education/Speech pathology. She realized that many families either cannot afford speech therapy, do not have access to it, or would rather just help their children at home - especially those of us who homeschool.

Thankfully my son received excellent services when he was receiving his speech therapy. I was able to sit in on many of his sessions and watch and learn so that I could help him at home as well. My second son was also speech delayed although not as severely as my first son. He never really talked well until he was about four years old, but he never had any therapy. Then along came son #3 (J6) who has been talking in full sentences since he was about 14 months old. 

However, back to Super Star Speech. The product is broken down in to a main book and supplements that focus on specific sounds. 

Photobucket
The main book, Super Star Speech: Speech Therapy Made Simple! ($22.95 for a ring-bound book or $18.95 for a spiral bound book) contains an articulation test which helps you figure out exactly what sounds are problems for your child. I did give this test to J6 even though I don't think he has any issues. I was right. Even though he is only six and a half, he was able to correctly make all sounds - even those for a seven year old. I told you this child can talk!

Then there are additional books that can be purchased separately that focus on specific sounds: 
  • Super Star R & L ($18.95 spiral bound)
  • Super Star S, Z, & Sh ($18.95 spiral bound)
  • Super Star Ch, J, & Th (only available as an ebook at  CurrClick for $12.95)
You can also purchase a complete edition which contains the main book and the first two supplements. The ring-bound versions are $49.95 and the spiral bound versions are $38.95.

The author has generously given me a discount code to share with my readers. Code "TOS" will give you a 20% discount if you purchase the printed books directly from her site and is good until June 30th.

If ebooks don't bother you, you can purchase all of the above from CurrClick as well.

I found the books were easy to use. Everything was explained very well. The author included clear examples on how to do the articulation test and then how to take those results and set up a lesson plan. 

The author also maintains a blog that I recommend for further tips on speech. I also recommend checking out the tips and freebies she has at her website for more information. 

Photobucket
Another product we tried out by this same author are her educational games. In a word: FUN! These are file folder-like games (some don't really need to be mounted in a file folder to be used). I do know I put my printer and laminator to good use in making up these games for my boys.

Titles include:

  • Silly Snail Game (parts of speech - love this one) 
  • Road to Revolution (history of the American Revolution)
  • The Inventors (learn about 24 famous inventors)
  • Colony Quest (the original 13 colonies and mapping skills)
  • Climb the Vine (science based)
  • All About Animals (animal classification - great for science - another favorite here)
  • Planets, Moon, and Stars (science - I can't wait to use this one in the fall during our astronomy study!)
  • Explorers of the World (learn about 24 world explorers)
  • Covering the Continents (world geography - tying in well with our geography co-op learning)
  • Exploring Egypt (learn about ancient Egypt - the game board is in the shape of a pyramid!)
  • The Insect Game (science based)
All of these games can be purchased as downloads from CurrClick for $3.50 each. 

I love these types of games. They are typically quick and fun but also educational at the same time. My middle son, N9, loves playing games and asks multiple times a day. These have certainly been used well here and I'm looking forward to using some of the other titles once we reach that point in our history and science studies.

Be sure to head over to the TOS Homeschool Crew blog to read what other Crew members had to say about these products.




*Disclaimer: I was not paid for this review. All opinions shared are my own. TOS Crew Members are given the product free of charge in exchange for our unbiased opinion of the product.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Oh thank goodness! I'm not here all alone. Thanks for leaving me a comment. It helps that I'm not always talking to myself. Right? Hello?