Monday, May 31, 2010

Review: Lobster Network

LobsterLogo

I have been homeschooling now for about seven years. In that time I have found resources that I just absolutely love and plan to reuse with younger kids as they get older. (Yes, this means poor B13 is the "tester" for any and all new curriculum.) If I am not actively using something I plan to keep, I don't mind lending it out to others. I've developed a little list in order to keep track of what I have and who has it. Now I don't have to.

LobsterNetwork is a new community on the internet and it's not just for homeschoolers. 

LobsterNetwork stands for:

LobsterAcronym

Oh and the best part of all of this...it's completely FREE!

A couple of my favorite features is that not only will it track items I lend out, it will also send out a reminder to both myself and the person I lent the item too in order to remind us each about it. No more forgetting where the science book ended up or (more importantly) who has it.

Even if you did not want to lend, sell, trade, or give away any of your items (which you could do any of those things on LobsterNetwork), you could also set up an inventory of your own items. Remember, this is not just a book site and it is not just for homeschoolers. You could potentially set up a complete inventory of your household contents including serial numbers and photos and have it stored safely off site in the case of a tragedy.

I see another big potential here as well - local communities - homeschooling or otherwise. LobsterNetwork allows you to set up communities on the site and make them either public or private. For instance, I have been attempting to have my local homeschooling friends join so that we can set up a list of things we want to trade, sell, or lend. What a great way to have a handy and private list.

Any item you list for sale can also be listed as part of the Marketplace which allows anyone to see your item even if they are not a registered user.

Still not sure about this? Click HERE to take a tour of LobsterNetwork.

Be sure to head over to The TOS Homeschool Crew blog to see what others had to say about this.



*Disclaimer: I was not paid for this review. All opinions shared are my own. TOS Crew Members are given the product free of charge in exchange for our unbiased opinion of the product.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Oh thank goodness! I'm not here all alone. Thanks for leaving me a comment. It helps that I'm not always talking to myself. Right? Hello?