Saturday, August 21, 2010

Friday's Fave Five....well sort of....


Yeah, it's Saturday - not Friday. I know. Life has still been pretty crazy busy lately but I have a lot to be thankful for so I'm jumping in a bit late on this one.

1. Piano Lessons. I signed all four of us (the boys & I) up for piano lessons this week. I'm so psyched! Probably far more than any of the boys are even. I played when I was a child up until high school, but then never continued. I really regret that so I want to learn again. I miss it - a lot. I've also wanted the boys to take lessons for quite some time as well, but just hadn't made a huge effort to find an affordable teacher. We are all going to be taught by a 19-year-old homeschool girl who lives in the next town over from me. The lessons will be very affordable. As of right now we only have a keyboard here (not quite full-sized, but close), but we are at church 1-2 days a week so we'll make time to practice then plus I clean my hubby's grandparents house weekly and there is a piano there as well. I think it will work for now. Once our addition is finished (hopefully next year), we'll have our own piano.

2. Singing. I sang in church on Sunday. I actually do that a couple times a month anyway - with one of the worship teams - in a group - as in not a solo. However, about a year ago (maybe more?) I signed up to do "special music." Every week one person sings a solo just before the pastor preaches. This past Sunday it was my turn. I am always very nervous when I do this. This week I talked about why I do this. I get scheduled to sing about 3-4 times a year - not a lot, but it is so nerve wracking! No one makes me do it. I do it of my own volition. The why? Because God speaks to me through music and I want to share that. Many times I just feel God that much closer to me when I'm singing. It's a feeling I can't describe, but it's why I sing. To share God. Oh and I sang this song....


What I didn't share on Sunday morning....this song was used in the tribute video my siblings and I put together for our Mom. So I always think of her when I sing it or hear it.

3. Fun with friends. I headed to the beach on Tuesday of this past week. I haven't been to the ocean in far too long. I love the ocean. The beach - not so much - but I love the ocean. The waves breaking. My favorite photo of the day is this one:

4. The Fair Okay, I have to admit it's not my favorite thing to actually go to the Fair. However, my kids do and since they are now part of 4-H we went. My MIL is so awesome. She came with me and was a huge help. We had Mr. & Miss H with us as well. Our first stop was to check out the photography exhibits. I had entered about seven (I think). Two of them one ribbons.

This one:

And this one:

I wanted to share something about these photos as well. They were both taken with my Kodak point & shoot camera - not my new digital SLR.

And a photo of the boys in front of their 4-H booth (not all projects belong to them - these are projects from others in our group as well).

H&H were very well behaved and had a great time. The boys had a fabulous time. And my MIL and I were exhausted after walking around for about four hours.  

5. God's bounty. This week I have been busy picking blackberries. There are literally thousands of them growing up behind our house. I went out on Sunday and again today. I have the scratches to prove it! I have already made one batch of very yummy blackberry jam and plan to make some more tomorrow. 


My in-laws have a huge garden and have been sharing the extra with us. Today I did up some beets for the freezer. I have two yellow squash on my counter and those will end up as yellow squash bread (similar to zucchini bread). We've been enjoying cucumbers, corn, and potatoes. 

While the week has been busy, it's been a good busy. 

5 comments:

  1. It's wonderful that you're willing to serve the Lord with singing even though you're so nervous. I love that song. :)

    The picture at the beach is great. We are soooo missing the water and the ocean. We're normally stationed near water, so this desert location is very different for us. It's beautiful as well, but we still miss the water. ;)

    Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chris Tomlin is one of my favorites and that song in particular always gives me chills! Good for you for singing at church. I couldn't carry a tune in a bucket.

    Ah, the ocean. I miss it! It's been almost 2 years since we were in Maine and saw the ocean. *sniff*

    Congrats on the photography ribbons! Did the boys enjoy 4H? It's a good feeling to finish a project and be able to have it on display like that.

    Wow, blackberry jam is my favorite! And fresh, homemade Maine blackberry jam? My mouth is watering. I'll bring the bread and be right over, okay? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you for the singing! I don't carry a tune well at all, but singing at church and raising my arms in the air - it speaks to my soul like almost nothing else can.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those blackberries look yummy!

    good for you for taking the piano lesson along with your boys. That is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your FFF list.....yum....I've been enjoying blackberries as well. We LOVE the ocean but I must say whenever we are in Maine (usually just Acadia National Park for camping) we are just too darn cold to swim in the water! but we LOVE Maine and it is on our list of places to retire to once our daughters are grown up and done with college!
    (we do like the beaches in the Adirondack Mtns where we live and the beaches on Cape Cod...much warmer water :) )
    yay for piano lessons, too! (i was a piano major for my undergrad degree).....have fun with it!!

    ReplyDelete

Oh thank goodness! I'm not here all alone. Thanks for leaving me a comment. It helps that I'm not always talking to myself. Right? Hello?