Friday, March 25, 2011

TOS Crew Review: Big IQ Kids

Photobucket

BigIQ Kids is an interesting spot on the web. It is a fun place where kids can have some of their basic skills reinforced in an enjoyable and easy way. It's interactive and allows for even young children to be able to participate on their own. I allowed my nine-year-old and fourteen-year-old boys to try this out. 

Big IQ Kids

While BigIQ Kids has a wonderful free site, however, you can also upgrade to their premium sites. You can see a breakdown of all their costs here and also read the difference here in a handy little chart. The best part of the premium programs is stated right on the front of that page. It allows for mastery of the program - something I already strive for here in our homeschool - and it doesn't advance the student until they have mastered the set of skills.

Throughout the weeks that my boys have been working on Big IQ Kids, I would periodically receive emails such as.....
Hi N9's Parent/Guardian:
N9 achieved mastery for 'Addition - Digit Number 2' and is moving up to the next level. If you would like to review or modify N9's lesson plan click on the 'Modify Lesson' button on the main menu.
N9 is doing great!
Thanks for using www.BigIQkids.com

Big IQ Kids Math

Or even this.....

Hello B14's Parent/Guardian:
B14 did not answer the Virginia summary question correctly on the first try. Please let B14 know that the state summaries are an important aspect of BigStatesTime.com and paying close attention to these summaries will help B14 do well on the State Fun Facts Game.
Thank you for using BigStatesTime.com


Virginia's question: How many United States presidents were born in Virginia? Answer: 8

Big IQ Kids States


BTW, that question got to B14 a couple of times. He eventually did earn mastery of this section. I found that receiving those emails helped me to know what they were working on. BigIQ Kids has sections for spelling, vocabulary, math, and states. You can also check out lessons on measurement and time.

BigIQ Kids is also customizable so it allows you to easily use it to supplement what your child is already learning. You can plug in your own spelling words and BigIQ Kids will help your child learn them. I really liked this feature.

Big IQ Kids Vocab

Some of the fun things my boys liked were the games they could earn. They were also allowed to create an avatar. For some reason, my boys really like it when they can do this and will spend oodles of time making them just right.

BigIQ Kids is designed for children in grades K-8. I used it with my two oldest boys who are in grades 4 & 8. I know they really enjoyed their time and sometimes this was the first thing they would do on their checklists each day. I do plan to start using some of the free aspects with my seven year old to help him have a bit of fun while learning.

Members of the TOS Homeschool Crew received a one year Premium Subscription to the site in exchange for our review. I know that we will continue to use BigIQ Kids over the course of the next year. We really enjoyed this website. Be sure to head over to the TOS Homeschool Crew blog to read what other Crew members had to say about this website.



Disclaimer: I was not paid for this review.  All opinions shared are my own. TOS Crew Members are given the product free of charge in exchange for our unbiased opinion of the product.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Oh thank goodness! I'm not here all alone. Thanks for leaving me a comment. It helps that I'm not always talking to myself. Right? Hello?