Monday, February 18, 2013

I Got Inked

I have wanted a tattoo for a very long time....at least 20 years. I've had the opportunity at times to get one, but my husband really didn't want me to do it so I didn't. However, the desire never really went away.
In fact just this past summer I was talking with a friend about it. She had been working at loosing weight and had been very successful. She was closing in on 50 pounds lost and told me she was going to get a tattoo once she reached that goal. She had it all picked it out.
We were in the midst of a long drive so we started designing one for me. My life verse is Jeremiah 29:11 so we were working something up to incorporate that verse.
As is usually the case, life and finances delayed our appointment until the end of last month.
At the end of last month we finally made it to the tattoo parlor. Needless to say, I felt vastly out of my element. A tattoo parlor is not a spot I typically hang out.
My friend opted to go first. 

And yes, it does hurt, but she wasn't screaming. Honest.

She said if she had to watch me get one, she'd probably bail. It took about an hour for her to get inked. She went with the Greek word "logos" on her forearm in Greek. It means "The Word" as in Jesus is The Word.


After much thought I ended up going with a medical tattoo on my forearm. 

I was diagnosed with diabetes when I was pregnant with my second son 12 years ago. Five months after he was born, I was told I had Type I diabetes. Many folks here the word "diabetes" and look at me and assume I have Type II so let me explain the difference.
The majority of diabetics are Type II or non-insulin dependent. This means they make insulin but for various reasons their body doesn't use it correctly. It can be controlled through diet, exercise, oral pills, and, in extreme cases, insulin. Type I diabetics do not make insulin at all. They can also be called insulin dependent.
My doctor explained it to me this way....cells need sugar for energy but they have locked doors. Insulin is the key to the door. Type II diabetics make the keys but they are the wrong kind for many of the doors. Type I diabetics simply don't make keys.
Most Type I diabetics are diagnosed as children. I happened to be 28 when I was diagnosed. Many adults actually do develop Type I like me. The medical field calls it "latent onset." I do require insulin and I actually wear an insulin pump 24/7. It saves me from the 4-5 shots a day I used to take.
So what does this all have to do with my tattoo? I am suppose to wear a medical id bracelet but in the last few years I have not been great about that. Now I don't have to worry about it. 

And yes, as I said, it hurts so if anyone has ever told you it doesn't, they lie.
It wasn't as bad as labor, but at times it was close

I have it inked on my left forearm. It's healed without issue and, while I am still getting used to seeing it, I do like it.

It's been about a month since I had this done. I took this photo tonight. There's just one very small scab left near one of the snakes. It took two hours to have this placed. And it hurt like the dickens. The circular areas were the worst. The straight edges weren't too bad at all, but those circles. 

Now that I have first-hand knowledge, I'm not sure I'll end up getting my Jeremiah 29:11 tattoo done, but then again, it could be a lot like having kids. The memory of the pain lessens with time and you end up wanting another child. I'll give it a few years before I decide if I want another tattoo or not. For now, I'm happy with the one I have.

3 comments:

  1. Your tattoo is bee-you-ti-fullll! I am so glad we did this, even though it did hurt like the dickens!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh Lisa! When i saw the title i thought surely you were joking! Awesome! I love it. Good for you. I don't have any ink, but i love it. So empowering!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, you are braver than I am! Sounds painful, but it's a clever idea instead of an ID bracelet!

    ReplyDelete

Oh thank goodness! I'm not here all alone. Thanks for leaving me a comment. It helps that I'm not always talking to myself. Right? Hello?