Sunday, July 7, 2013

{My Blog Spark} Gluten-Free Baking

Disclosure: The information and prize pack have been provided by General Mills through MyBlogSpark.


Over two years ago I discovered that my youngest son has an intolerance to gluten. We were on vacation and I suddenly realized his stomach hurt after every meal. We soon changed the way he ate and he began to get better. 

Thankfully it's been pretty easy to find things for him to eat that are gluten-free. There has been a huge issue with gluten-free intolerance ranging from celiac disease to an intolerance that makes it very uncomfortable to eat anything with gluten in it. 

What is gluten? Gluten is part of wheat and wheat related products. It helps it rise and gives it elasticity. It's also the very thing that some people just simply cannot tolerate in their diet. 


Betty Crocker has made it a bit easier but introducing some time-saving mixes for those that are gluten-free. This came about after two employees found the need to go gluten-free so the company ventured into producing gluten-free mixes. The mixes are processed in a gluten-free facility so no cross-contamination. (Yeah!) They also support both the Celiac Disease Foundation and the Celiac Sprue Association. 

I was given the opportunity to participate in a Blog Spark about gluten-free cooking. I was sent a baking set and asked to cook one of the Betty Crocker mixes. My youngest was happy to be my helper.

Baking set

We were asked to make the banana bread mix, however, none of my local stores carried that mix. We had to make do with brownies. ::grin::


I also used it as an opportunity to teach my kiddo how to make something he can actually eat. I realized I'd been neglecting this aspect with all my boys so it's on the agenda.


So yummy!


And yes, he agreed!

It was very easy to put together. Just needed to add eggs and butter and we were good to go. My kiddo lo loved these brownies. It makes it easier to help him not feel like he's not missing out on special treats.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Oh thank goodness! I'm not here all alone. Thanks for leaving me a comment. It helps that I'm not always talking to myself. Right? Hello?