1. I'm celebrating a birthday this week so a question relating to aging feels appropriate. Douglas MacArthur is quoted as saying, "You are as young as your faith, as old as your doubt; as young as your self-confidence, as old as your fear; as young as your hope, as old as your despair." Would you agree? If not why not? I would agree with this statement. I think the essence is that if you have faith, self-confidence, and hope the big picture doesn't really matter. It's when we get bogged down in the things that strip us of those things (doubt, fear, and despair) that we forget how much we have to be thankful for. I find that as I grow older this becomes even more true for me. (Great quote, by-the-way!)
2. What remarkable feat, interesting piece of trivia, or historical event occurred on your birth day and month? Not necessarily in your birth year, just the same date/same month. After a quick internet search I discovered that the first official US flag was raised aboard the USS Alfred naval vessel (December 3, 1775).
3. Describe a time or circumstance where you wanted to 'have your cake and eat it too.' In a few weeks actually, I'd love for this to happen. I have two different events planned. However, I can't attend both as much as I would love to. In fact, that seems to happen quite often. A similar thing happened this past weekend. I had three things I wanted to do but I needed to pick just one.
4. What's something you do that makes you feel young? Something that makes you feel old? I take care of little ones, well, one little one. There is nothing like chasing after a two-year-old to make you feel young.
As for feeling old? How tired I feel (and it's not all the fault of this little one) and how I don't bounce back as quickly as I used to. I certainly feel all the aches and pains I have!
5. When did you last do something that was 'a piece of cake'? Honestly, I can't think of anything at the moment. I'm sure there was something but for the life of me I can't remember. Oh wait....wasn't there a question about what makes me feel old? This. The memory is going fast I tell ya!
6. Beef, wine, and cheese all improve with age. What's something else you'd add to that list? (not necessarily food or beverage) Relationships - if done right. The more you get to know a person and the longer you know a person, the better the relationship. In particular I'm thinking of my marriage. We celebrated 21 years this past July and it's far better than it ever was when we were barely in to our 20s and married.
7. If I were to have a giveaway when we hit Volume 200, what should I give away? By my calculations we'll hit Volume 200 on November 26th, the day before Thanksgiving, which means whoever wins would have whatever it is in time for Christmas. Oh gosh. I'm not going to be any help at all with this one.
8. Insert your own random thought here. I'm absolutely loving this song lately. Have a listen.
Spent today in a conversation
In the mirror face to face with
Somebody less than perfect
I wouldn't choose me first if
I was looking for a champion
In fact, I'd understand if
You picked everyone before me
But that's just not my story
True to who You are
You saw my heart
Something out of nothing
I don't need my name in lights
I'm famous in my Father's eyes
Make no mistake
He knows my name
I'm not living for applause
I'm already so adored
It's all a stage
He knows my name