Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Letters

So much for keeping up with a daily blog post in 2016. January? Gosh. I've been slacking. I've also been itching to get back to writing so here we are....




A few years ago my husband and I began sponsoring a child via Compassion International. We chose a little girl from Indonesia named Putri. I was slack in writing at first, but then I began sending letters as often as I could along with small gifts to simply remind her that we were praying for her, we believed in her, and we loved her. And I truly did do all of those things.


The photo on the left was on Putri's packet we picked up at the concert - our initial view of her. The one on the right was the last updated photo I had received. 

Sadly, after more than four years of sponsoring Putri, we were notified last fall that she was no longer attending the project and thus was dropped. We were asked if we wanted to sponsor another child. We agreed to sponsor a new little girl from Indonesia. Her name is Hesti. 


 I thought that was the end of it and I began writing to Hesti to begin to know her better. However, out of the blue today I received a final letter from Putri and it about broke my heart.



Dear Sister Lisa Berry,
Greetings. Hello, Sister Lisa Berry. how are you? I am fine. Sister Lisa, this is my final letter because starting this month I'm no longer at the project because the project activity is at the same time with my school activity. Thank you for all your financial support and prayers all this time. I pray that God will protect and bless you. I hope you could sponsor other children who need support. Because in Indonesia there are many children who need help. Please pray for my schooling and my family. I send my love to all your family, Sister Lisa.
God bless. 
Putri

I so wish I could tell her how much she is loved and that we have already begun to sponsor another little one in Indonesia.

So for anyone who thinks their support doesn't really matter or that writing to your child doesn't really matter, please know that it does!

"Then the King will say to those on His right, 'Come, you who are
blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom
prepared for you since the creation of the world.
For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, 
I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink,
I was a stranger and you invited me in,
I needed clothes and you clothed me,
I was sick and you looked after me,
I was in prison and you came to visit me.'

"Then the righteous will answer him, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry
and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 
When did we see you a stranger and invite you in,
or needing clothes and clothe you?
When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?

"The King will reply, 'Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one
of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, 
you did for me.'"

Matthew 25:34-40 (NIV)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Oh thank goodness! I'm not here all alone. Thanks for leaving me a comment. It helps that I'm not always talking to myself. Right? Hello?