Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Preschool

J is simply THRILLED to be doing preschool at home this year. He gets to do school JUST like the big boys. I'm not doing anything major with him as he's really not ready for a lot of it. He knows his letters, numbers, shapes & colors already. He needs lots of work on fine motor skills & writing skills but I figure he's four. We've got plenty of time. Now we're just having fun.

I'm loosely using Letter of the Week with ideas throw in from No Time for Flashcards & 1+1+1=1 Tot School as well as some workbooks from Rod & Staff publishing (pre-writing skills - trace the line things - he loves it!)

Over at No Time for Flashcards I read about using store bought cookie dough to reinforce letters. She used them on the letter 'c' - you know, "C is for Cookie, that's good enough for me." Sing with me now! Can't you just picture Cookie Monster singing that song?

This was our first week of school & our letter is actually 'A' but I went for the cookie dough anyway. What kid doesn't love cookies?? So we made 'A' cookies. I think J approves.


Our first 'A' was rather plump. I made them thinner after this. Our number of the week is one.

Granted they were more of a blob after they were cooked, but he didn't really seem to mind. We cooked this up, finished morning school, & then went for our walk. I've been breaking after about an hour to go for a long walk with the boys. We enjoyed them for snack when we got back. Yum!

3 comments:

  1. What fun! Who wouldn't like school with cookies. Looks like it is going well.

    We are still trying to settle into a good routine. Dan started speech 2x/wk and I need to work with that. I think it will be good for him as he is in a small class with two other children.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We've done this before...I really need to get out of the "big kid" mode and think "hands on" for Zander....you and Jodi are inspiring me Lisa.

    I know the notebooks and lapbooks worked well the last couple of days and I feel like he was much more engaged than he is when we are reading.

    ReplyDelete

Oh thank goodness! I'm not here all alone. Thanks for leaving me a comment. It helps that I'm not always talking to myself. Right? Hello?