Sunday, January 31, 2010

Review: Math Score

Photobucket

It feels like the TOS Homeschool Crew has had a lot of math to check out lately. Well, they do say one should spend more time and energy on the weakest subject so this is probably a good thing for us! I have never said I was a math whiz - far from it! Thankfully I married an engineer so he can handle the higher level math. Until then the boys and I work on drilling the math basics. MathScore is a fun way to work on that.

MathScore is an online based subscription math drill program. It covers math topics that are very wide and varied and has programs from grade one with basic addition and subtraction all the way up to grade twelve and algebra. 

The cost for the first child enrolled is $14.95 a month. However, there is a discount for first time users that makes the first child only $9.95 a month for the first two months. Each additional child that you sign up receives a bigger discount. For example, the second child would cost $5.00 a month while each additional child after that would be $3.95 a month. I currently have three children enrolled and it would normally cost me $18.90 a month for all them. However, MathScore was generous in giving me a six month trial for free in order to test out their program. Everyone can try out MathScore for two weeks absolutely free in order to help determine if this would be a good fit for their family.

If you choose to pre-pay for a nine month subscription, the cost for your first child would be locked in at $9.95 a month. The benefit to this is that this prices stays locked in even after the nine-months is up. At that point you could buy one month at a time forever at that lower price.

There is also a lump sum payment option that results in a discount given. For instance, if you prepay $50, you are given a $60 credit to your account (a 20% bonus credit) or a $100 prepay amount results in a $140 credit (40% bonus credit). These are good options to use if you chose to do the nine-month option above and have locked in the lower price.

A very nice added benefit by MathScore is the ability to freeze your account if you go on vacation. You can freeze and reactive your account with no credit. Your account is refunded credit on a prorated basis so no credits are lost while you are gone. 

There is a page at the MathScore website that has a few video demos that everyone can check out. You can see that page by clicking here.

What I liked about the program is that each week I would recieve an email log of what my boys worked on the previous week. It would have a list of all the topics they worked on, their ratings for that topic, any points they earned (earning points unlocks reward trophies at the site), their overall accuracy and percentage for each topic, how many worksheets for each topic they completed, and how much time they spent working. One thing I really liked is it also shows how much "engaged time" was spent - the time actually spent working and learning. They didn't know I was getting these sheets either and my oldest was just busted for not working on this for twenty minutes as he was assigned. 

In asking my boys what they liked, B13 did say that he liked earning points and changing ranks. All new users start out as "rookies" and work their way up from there based on the points they earn. N8 didn't particularly care for this program, but I wonder if it may just not be as flashy as some we've tried. The graphics are basic and it's very much focused on getting the math facts learned which is a like for me. I will say that N8 is doing well with this though.

One last neat feature is that MathScore also includes a worksheet generator. This allows for extra practice to be printed and used away from the website. 

I found MathScore to be a nice way to help supplement our math work here at home. It is one we will continue to use.



*Disclaimer: I was not paid for this review. All opinions shared are my own. TOS Crew Members are given the product free of charge in exchange for our unbiased opinion of the product.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Oh thank goodness! I'm not here all alone. Thanks for leaving me a comment. It helps that I'm not always talking to myself. Right? Hello?