Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Update: Bible in 90 Days

Bible in 90 Days promo button

On January 1st I took on the challenge to read through the Bible in only 90 days. I've tried it in the past & I've always let Leviticus do me in. And it almost happened yet again. I thought about skipping it. Instead I just skimmed - fast! But about half way through it struck me...the entire book of Leviticus focuses on all the ways the Israelites needed to make atonement to God for all their sins. There were wave offerings, grain offerings, sin offerings, and so many more. Each carefully laid out for them. It told how folks who need to be cleansed of diseases or wrong doings - even if they didn't know they had done something wrong - had to do to find cleansing to be "clean in the eyes of God". There are 27 chapters that focus on all of this. Twenty-seven chapters that spell it all out. And the thing that struck me in the midst of all of this...Jesus. Jesus came and took the need for ALL of that away. Jesus was perfect in every way - sinless. He was the only one who could have done this for us. And he did. By choice. It still gets to me every time I think about it. Jesus died for me. For my sins. So I wouldn't have to sacrifice a pigeon or a dove or a bull or a lamb. Jesus was the perfect Lamb - sacrificed for me.

I've made it through Leviticus (yeah!) and now I'm heading through Numbers. Numbers starts out pretty dry too so I'm again skimming fast. It continues where Leviticus left off with more rules and regulations for the Israelites.  Today is Day 12 & I should be reading Numbers 21:8 through Numbers 32:19. But I'm way back in Numbers 9. My goal it to continue working on this & be caught up soon. I will finish this challenge!

4 comments:

  1. I'm glad that you are still hanging in there! I'm still reading away each day and so far on track and it feels good. I've usually not been able to get to this point without feeling some sort of pressure. I liked what you wrote about Jesus covering all of it for us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great thing to come away from Leviticus with, Lisa! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not noisy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're on a roll. I found that the 90 Day really helped me get over that "leviticus hump". It also gave me such a clear context of things - the big picture. I saw Lev. as God trying to show an unholy people how to walk holy....and I'd never seen it before I read the 90 Days.

    Why does it just seem easier in that Bible?????

    ReplyDelete

Oh thank goodness! I'm not here all alone. Thanks for leaving me a comment. It helps that I'm not always talking to myself. Right? Hello?