Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Review: Math Tutor

Photobucket

Remember how I said TOS Homeschool Crew members had been reviewing a lot of math products lately? I wasn't lying was I? Today I want to tell you about the Math Tutor DVDs that I was given to review.

First up was a really fun DVD for preschoolers.

Photobucket

Young Minds Numbers and Counting covers basic counting using animals, bright colors, and wonderful photographs all with soothing classical music playing in the background. It retails for $19.99. Here is a sample video of the DVD:


Overall I felt it was a great video and very well done. My then five-year old did watch it but he already knows how to count to about fifty. This would be more appropriate for preschool age children. Having said that, I did lend it to Miss H to view. She is home for the winter with her Daddy. Apparently, it did not hold this particular two year old's attention.

The second video we were given to view is called The Basic Math Word Problem Tutor ($26.99) which is an eight hour video course on two DVDs. I can tell you that math has always been a struggle for me and word problems in particular were tough. However, this video breaks it down step-by-step. It shows how to find what information needs to be puledl from the word problem in order to solve for the correct answer.

Photobucket

Covered on each disk are the following operations:


Disc 1Section 1: Adding Whole Numbers
Section 2: Subtracting Whole Numbers
Section 3: Multiplying Whole Numbers
Section 4: Dividing Whole Numbers
Section 5: Adding Decimals
Section 6: Subtracting Decimals
Section 7: Multiplying Decimals
Section 8: Dividing Decimals

Disc 2Section 9: Adding Fractions
Section 10: Subtracting Fractions
Section 11: Multiplying Fractions
Section 12: Dividing Fractions
Section 13: Percents, Part 1
Section 14: Percents, Part 2
Section 15: Ratio and Proportion


You can see screen shots from the video by clicking HERE. We have viewed this a few times. Of course, B13 doesn't want much of anything to do with math. He unfortunately takes after his momma. However, the videos are sticking around and we'll definitely be using them in our homeschool.

Be sure to check out what other Crew members thought by clicking HERE.



*Disclaimer: I was not paid for this review. All opinions shared are my own. TOS Crew Members are given the product free of charge in exchange for our unbiased opinion of the product.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Oh thank goodness! I'm not here all alone. Thanks for leaving me a comment. It helps that I'm not always talking to myself. Right? Hello?