Monday, March 15, 2010

Review: Artistic Pursuits


Once again a product I've been wondering about was given to me to try out as part of the TOS Homeschool Crew - Artistic Pursuits. And once again, I should have trusted my instincts. 

As I'm sure is the case in many a homeschooling home, art sometimes falls by the wayside while the basics are focused on. Artistic Pursuits certainly makes it easier to fit in the study of art and creativity. As a TOS Homeschool Crew Member, I was even allowed to pick which volume I wanted to try out. I went with the book for grades 4-6 ($42.95) thinking it would be a good fit for N8 who is in third grade and B13 who is in seventh. I was correct. Both boys are enjoying it a lot and doing well with the assignments. We'll definitely be continuing with this book.

In fact, here is a photo of the very first assignment completed by B13 - make a line drawing.


And another assignment done by both boys later on in Unit 1:

They were to fill the whole page with a drawing from their imagination. The one on the left is done by N8. The swirls were for wind. This is a drawing of "Paddle-to-the-Sea." (An excellent book, by-the-way.). The one on the left is done by B13 and it is a "Day at the Park."  

One thing I had heard said before is that anyone can draw. It's just like anything else. The more you practice, the better you become at it. I like how Artistic Pursuits breaks down the elements of drawing in to easy, understandable, and short lessons. While I did sit with the boys and go over each assignment, I do feel that this could easily be an independent study. I didn't think it was above N8's head or below B13's. 

Artistic Pursuits offers books for: 
  • Preschool (One Book with 32 projects.)
  • Grades K-3 (Book 1 introduces visual arts, Book 2 covers artists and their stories, and Book 3 covers Modern Painting and Sculpture) 
  • Grades 4-6 (Book 1 covers the elements of art and composition. This was the book we received. Book 2 covers color and composition.)
  • Junior High (Book 1 covers elements of art and comosition. Book 2 covers color and composition.)
  • Senior High (Book 1 covers elements of art and comosition. Book 2 covers color and composition.)
Each book sells for $42.95. To make it even easier, Artistic Pursuit also sells art supply packs for each book.

If you still have questions about Artistic Pursuit, then please check out their FAQ page. You should also click over to the TOS Homeschool Crew Blog and see what my fellow Crew members had to say as well. 

Overall I was quite happy with Artistic Pursuits. The boys enjoyed it. It was easy to just open up the book and start without much prep. It is written to the student and from this point on, I will most likely just put this in to the boys workboxes for them to use on their own. 


*Disclaimer: I was not paid for this review. All opinions shared are my own. TOS Crew Members are given the product free of charge in exchange for our unbiased opinion of the product.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Oh thank goodness! I'm not here all alone. Thanks for leaving me a comment. It helps that I'm not always talking to myself. Right? Hello?