Monday, March 22, 2010

Review: History Odyssey Modern Times

History Odyssey, Modern Times - level one

One of my favorite resources for elementary history is Story of the World. It's easy to use and my boys love it especially the maps. However, recently I was given a copy of History Odyssey: Modern Times by Pandia Press. Like Story of the World, History Odyssey follows a classical timeline. In fact, one of the required resources for History Odyssey is Story of the World!

Pandia Press is a family run company located in Florida. Not only do they publish history resources, but they also have a line of elementary science products as well. There is a History Odyssey for The Ancients, The Middle Ages, Early Modern Times, and Modern Times. There are also three levels to The Ancients as well as the Middle Ages and two levels for the different Modern Times. Level One is intended for grades first to fourth with the exception of Modern Times Level One. This particular one is intended for grades three to six as it is a harder course and helps bridge the gap to Level Two. Level Two is intended for grades five and up while Level Three is geared for grade nine and up.

I was given a copy of Modern Times Level One to try out. Here's what I liked:

  • teacher friendly - one can "open and go"
  • schedule included
  • easy to find resources
  • a checklist of activities to do which allows one to follow any order they wish
  • mapping activities included - a favorite of my boys
  • extensive book list for more reading
  • projects included
If I hadn't already found Story of the World seven years ago when I began teaching B13, I would have jumped at this resource. It allows a teacher to use their discretion as to what they want to include but also gives a nice guideline to follow as well.

Pandia Press also has a "try before you buy" option. They understand we homeschoolers buy products at times that just don't fit our family. Each option includes six lessons - enough for at least a month or more of learning and enough time to figure out if it works for you and your children. 

Pandia Press carries eBooks of their products at their site. They range in price from $28.99 to $33.99. Level One Modern History sells for $31.99. The eBooks are fully interactive with clickable links making it easy to navigate. If you'd rather have a print version, there is a list of sites at the Pandia Press website that lists various vendors that sell them. 


Overall I liked this product. I had many of the spines they recommend or found them easily at my library. I thought it was a thorough view of history as well.

Be sure to head over to the TOS Homeschool Crew blog to check out the other reviews of Pandia Press including their science books.



*Disclaimer: I was not paid for this review. All opinions shared are my own. TOS Crew Members are given the product free of charge in exchange for our unbiased opinion of the product.

1 comment:

  1. I just got History Odyssey - Ancients, and their REAL Science - Chemistry for my daughter. They both look fantastic. I love how they are laid out for such easy use! I can't wait to start them!!

    ReplyDelete

Oh thank goodness! I'm not here all alone. Thanks for leaving me a comment. It helps that I'm not always talking to myself. Right? Hello?