Monday, July 26, 2010

Nine and a Half Chapters - done!

Bible in 90 Days- join in July 2010

God is so good. I was again behind - about one day or so. I was set to have an extremely busy day today. I left the house this morning at 10am to go clean my hubby's grandparents house. I do this weekly. I was squeezing it in today and it was going to be a tight squeeze at that. I finished up and arrived home to grab a quick shower and lunch and then I had planned to take the boys to their swim lessons. From there we would be headed to church for a meeting and then our first night of VBS. 

And then God intervened. 

We have some extended family here visiting. They asked to take the two younger boys fishing this morning. I said that was fine as long as they were home by noon so they could have lunch and be ready for swim lessons. 

They arrived home at 1pm. 

Was I mad that they were late? Not at all. They weren't either even though they didn't make their swim lesson today. They had a fantastic time fishing and visiting with relatives. I had an extra hour to read my Bible. And now I am officially caught up. I even had time to write up this post.

Verses that spoke to me over the past week as I read from Joshua to the middle of 2 Samuel. I have finished nine & a half chapters in my Bible...in 22 days.

Joshua 13:1 - "When Joshua was old and well advanced in years, the LORD said to him, 'You are very old, and there are still very large areas of land to be taken over.'" It took a very long time for the Israelites to conquer the Promised Land. I think we sometimes think that Joshua crossed the river and that was it. It took years and years and years. Moses died. Joshua died. They were still working to take over all the land the Lord promised them.

Joshua 21:45 "Not one of all the LORD's good promises to the house of Israel failed; every one was fulfilled."

This is totally my opinion....Sampson was an idiot. He may have been strong, but he was definitely lacking in smarts. Delilah proves from the first that she is trying to capture Sampson for his enemies so they can kill him. And yet he continues to tell her ways in which he can be subdued until he finally tells her the correct one!

Ruth 1:16-17 "Don't urge me to leave you or turn back from you. Where you go I will go, and where you stay I will stay. Your people will be my people and your God my God. Where you die I will die, and there I will be buried. May the LORD deal with me, be it ever so severely, if anything but death separates you and me."

1 Samuel 2:30 "Those who honor me I will honor, but those who despise me will be disdained."

1 Samuel 5:1-5 The Philistines have captured the ark of the Lord and placed it in a temple with their idol Dagon. The idol falls over every night and bows to the ark. It's righted each day and continues to fall over. 

1 Samuel 8:7 "It is not you they have rejected, but they have rejected me as king." The Lord is speaking to Samuel after the Israelites demand a king.

1 Samuel 16:7 "The LORD does not look at the things man looks at. Man looks at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart."

2 Samuel 7:28-29 "O Sovereign LORD, you are God! Your words are trustworthy, and you have promised these good things to your servant. Now be pleased to bless the house of your servant, that it may continue forever in your sight; for you, O Sovereign LORD, have spoken, and with your blessing the house of your servant will be blessed forever." Replace "your servant" with your name and read this again. 

I'll be reading through the rest of 2 Samuel, 1 Kings, 2 Kings, and starting in on 1 Chronicles this coming week. 

3 comments:

  1. I had to LOL at your "honesty" about Samson! I agree completely! :)
    Praise God that he gave you that extra hour of peace to spend with HIM! How GREAT is our God?!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome Lisa! Thanks for sharing your thoughts along the way. It's like a mini-Bible study with you!

    I haven't read Samuel, but a few things caught my eye. I will be going there next.

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't it nice to have a breather once in awhile even if it means missing something scheduled.

    ReplyDelete

Oh thank goodness! I'm not here all alone. Thanks for leaving me a comment. It helps that I'm not always talking to myself. Right? Hello?