Friday, September 24, 2010

Schleich + Kids = Fun

Schleich S

Recently we had a little zoo delivered to our house. My six year old son was absolutely thrilled and instantly claimed it as his own. I wasn’t worried though. These animals didn’t need feeding or cleaning or anything like that. They just need a bit of imagination and play added for fun. J6 was happy to oblige.

092010 021

Our little package arrived from Schleich. The company was originally started in Germany 1935 by Friedrich Schleich. The company originally began making comic figurines in the 1950’s. J6 loved the fact that there were Smurfs in our catalog! The animal figurines were added in the 1980’s and the collection continues to grow today. In 2003 knights, elves, and other play world accessories.

Today the production of products still occurs in Germany as well as other facilities around the world. That was one of my only hang-ups. Our figurines are stamped “Made in China.”

The above photo shows all the neat animals we received. As I mentioned, J6 instantly claimed them and the animals were off for adventures galore with my youngest son.

092010 023

Although, the biggest adventure was finding all eight animals so I could take them on safari  photo shoot outside for my review post. I’m pretty sure it took close to 15-20 minutes hunting high and low in J6’s bedroom to locate all eight. I assured him he could then do as he pleased with them forevermore.

092010 032_picnik

I was very happy with the quality of the animals we received. They are made of a very durable hard plastic-resin material. The details bring the little animals to life. I am not worried about them surviving play life with boys. I know they will hold up well.

While you can’t buy directly from the Schleich website, there is a store locator there as well as a list of online retailers. I have seen these sold at anywhere from toy stores to craft stores to my local feed store.  Just as there are a number of retailers who sell these figures, the cost also varies.

The Playground page at the Schleich website has lots of fun things including coloring pages and interactive “playworlds.” Another neat aspect of the website is just checking out all the different product. Each explains what it is and gives a fact about it. For instance, donkeys can carry up to 30% of their body weight.

Overall we really liked these and I plan on adding to J6’s collection. They are durable and fuel imaginative play. All great things in my book.




Disclaimer: I was not paid for these review. All opinions shared are my own. TOS Crew Members are given the product free of charge in exchange for our unbiased opinion of the product.

2 comments:

  1. They really are lovely figures, aren't they? My boys liked them and learning about the new kinds of animals, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are great! We have the African elephant family and a swan. The bunny set is adorable. I wanted this one, but my daughter picked out the elephants and swan. Target has them for a fairly decent price, but ours sells out of them quickly.

    ReplyDelete

Oh thank goodness! I'm not here all alone. Thanks for leaving me a comment. It helps that I'm not always talking to myself. Right? Hello?