Monday, November 15, 2010

Back in the Day

Photobucket

The title of this post is something my nine and six year old sons used this evening in reference to a couple years ago. They were discussing something my nine year old had made “back in the day.” I just chuckled quietly under my breath. Back in the day doesn’t really qualify for most modern toys, but I immediately thought of the coin purse N9 made just a few weeks ago.

Coin Pouch

Corps of Re-Discovery is a great company that is working on bringing back projects kits to enhance history lessons in your homes, school or both!  These kits were created by a homeschool family after they took the opportunity to travel and see the USA and participate in a lot of hands on learning. What an amazing chance to see our great land up close and personal!

We received the coin pouch kit ($4.99) from Corps of Re-Discovery. I knew that N9 would love this so I simply handed it to him and let him have it. Since they say a picture is worth a thousand words, I’ll let these talk for themselves, well, with a few captions tossed in for good measure.

093010 003
Reading over the instructions.

093010 004Working on stitching it together. 

093010 006  Getting there!

093010 007DONE!

My thoughts:
I liked that the snap came already to go. There was no assembly needed thankfully. The kit just needed stitching around three sides to be ready to be used. The price is phenomenal. I would definitely consider getting some kits to enhance our studies. With the holiday season fast approaching, these would make neat little gifts for any child.

It did take N9 about an hour to complete this project.  He is very diligent in his work and he thought it was a cool gift. He did become a bit frustrated at times trying to get the plastic lacing through the holes. We tried using a yarn needle but found it was too large to go through the holes. It certainly would have made it a bit easier to stitch.

While this kit is recommended for ages 5 & up, I think most children under the age of 7 or 8 would find this difficult and may become easily frustrated. I knew that N9 would most likely follow through and he did.  He completed the entire project on his own.

Be sure to head over to the TOS Homeschool Crew blog to see what the other members had to say about the kits they received (we all were given something different from tomahawk kits to quilting kits to cornhusk dolls to fringe pouches).



Disclaimer: I was not paid for this review. All opinions shared are my own. TOS Crew Members are given the product free of charge in exchange for our unbiased opinion of the product.

1 comment:

  1. Nice job dear. We ended up just snipping the tip of the cording to make it pointing and that worked for getting it thru. I like how you let the pics tell the story. :0)

    ReplyDelete

Oh thank goodness! I'm not here all alone. Thanks for leaving me a comment. It helps that I'm not always talking to myself. Right? Hello?