Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Who Wants To Play a Game?


That refrain is heard around my home many times a day. My middle son in particular loves to play board games. I am constantly on the look out for games to add to our ever growing collection. I want games that are fun, easy to play with a large age range (our youngest is not quite 7 and our oldest is 14 plus hubby & I). Quick play is an added bonus. Added educational elements are a huge plus. And unique. I really like unique games. The biggest requirement is that it needs to be fun!

There are very few games that meet these requirements. However, we recently had a game arrive in our home that is fantastic to play. It's called Wits & Wagers Family ($19.99) put out by North Star Games.

Photobucket

Play is super easy. It's designed for up to five people. We've played it with all of us plus just the boys and I. The game come with five small wipe off boards and markers. There are two colored "meeples" (one large and one small) for each person. There is also a score card (the one with all the circles pictured above) and tons of fun trivia questions.

Here's how to play...each person takes their wipe off board. A trivia question is asked. The answer will be a number. For example..."How many stars are in the Milky Way?" Each player writes down their answer. They are they flipped over and placed in order on the table. The players then place their meeples on what they think is the best answer to the question - not necessarily their own answer either. Points are awarded for writing the correct answer and the placing of the meeples.

What I love: It's fast paced. A game takes about 20 minutes or less - depending on the questions asked and the answers given. All of us can play it together! While J6 doesn't always write his numbers well (he gets to practice now!) and he may not know the answer, he is still able to enjoy the game. He doesn't need help to play which is an added bonus. While the manufacturer recommends this for ages 10+, we found it very easy for J6 and N9 to play easily and well. I also really liked that hubby & I also had fun playing. That's hard to find in a child-friendly game at times.

Wits & Wagers Family can be purchased at Target, Amazon, Barnes & Noble or your local toy and game retailer.

Be sure to head over to the TOS Homeschool Crew blog to see what other Crew members had to say about Wits & Wagers Family.



Disclaimer: I was not paid for this review. All opinions shared are my own. TOS Crew Members are given the product free of charge in exchange for our unbiased opinion of the product.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Oh thank goodness! I'm not here all alone. Thanks for leaving me a comment. It helps that I'm not always talking to myself. Right? Hello?