Saturday, April 30, 2011

TOS Crew Review: Hey Andrew! Teach Me Some Greek!

logo

While I have head of Hey Andrew! Teach Me Some Greek! put out by Greek 'N Stuff before, I hadn't had a chance to look at it in person. I received the Level 1 workbook ($14.95), the "short" answer only answer key ($4.00), and pronunciation CD ($10.00). 



The Level 1 workbook teaches koinĂ©–or “common”–Greek. This is the Greek used during Biblical times, not Greek as it is spoken in Greece today. The purpose of this workbook is to help elementary level children (primarily but would work for older children as well) learn to recognize & write the 24 Greek letters (both in and out of order).

The worktext uses 28 lessons that include vocabulary, flash cards, copywork, matching, dot-to-dots, and puzzles to help the child learn each letter. 

What I thought:

I originally started using this worktext with my youngest son last year. We ran in to a problem though. The first letter taught is alpha which looks like the letter 'a.' I am currently teaching my son to read. I found he was starting to get a bit confused as to what each sound the English letter made due to learning the Greek letters. 

I quickly switched over to having my middle son use the worktext instead. This worked much better. He found it rather easy and had a lot of fun using it.

This was a great look at beginning Greek that made it easy to learn and fun to use. The pronunciation key was extremely helpful.

Be sure to head over to the TOS Homeschool Crew blog to see what other members had to say about this product and others from Greek 'N Stuff.



Disclaimer: I was not paid for this review.  All opinions shared are my own. TOS Crew Members are given the product free of charge in exchange for our unbiased opinion of the product.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Oh thank goodness! I'm not here all alone. Thanks for leaving me a comment. It helps that I'm not always talking to myself. Right? Hello?