Saturday, September 10, 2011

10 Year Ago


The ten year anniversary of 9/11 is tomorrow. I know that many are talking about it. Most have for quite a while now. It hit me today though that I am personally celebrating a ten year anniversary today.

Ten years ago today I walked in to my endocrinologist office and found out I had Type 1 diabetes. I have blogged about my story before so I'll just do the highlights now.

At my very first pre-natal appointment for my second child I was found to be spilling sugar in my urine. Shortly after that I was told I had to go on insulin. I was also told that once my child was born we would be able to figure out if I was Type 1 or Type 2 but it was assumed it would be Type 2 given my age. Given how early I was diagnosed with diabetes, it was not even considered to be gestational even though I was pregnant. My endo had given me some paperwork on the drug he planned to start me on. However, to be sure, he did the antibody test. And he discovered that my body had killed off my insulin making cells. I most likely contracted some sort of virus that looked similar to my islet cells and my efficient immune system killed them off as well as the virus.

This meant that I am now on insulin for the rest of my life - unless a cure is ever found. I wear a pump - just like the one picture above. That photo was actually taken in 2007 and my pump is now purple and slightly bigger but other than that - that is what you'll see on my hip pocket any day of the week. It just depends if it's on the right or left side as I switch sites every 4-5 days.

I wonder sometimes if I would remember the exact day my life changed if 9/11 hadn't happened the very next day. Tomorrow I'll share where I was and what I was doing the day the world stopped turning.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Oh thank goodness! I'm not here all alone. Thanks for leaving me a comment. It helps that I'm not always talking to myself. Right? Hello?