Friday, November 16, 2007

Yumminess

This past September I began homeschooling (via distance) my 16 year old niece. She really wanted to come home & her mom works & my Mom works so I stepped in. She's pretty independent but I try to go over every other week to answer questions, correct any work, & just check in with her. I feel woefully inadequate to homeschool a high school student. I jokingly told her today that I had to skip from 5th grade (which is where my oldest is) up to 11th - yikes! So far so good though & she is doing a fantastic job.

Today was the day I went over. We spent some time correcting her writing/grammar work. I picked out BJUP 11th grade books for her to use. Overall I think they are going well. My mom (whom my kids call Ninny) made THE yummiest sugar cookies. Then she let the kids frost their own & put sprinkles on - including my youngest - who basically just upended the bottle of sprinkles on top of the cookie.

It was a rainy/overcast day over where we live so I didn't hesitate to drive to my parents house which is about 45 minutes away - in good weather. However, the road I take climbs for about three miles so the elevation is pretty high from where I start. The higher I went, the more the rain turned to snow. By the time I got to the peak, everything was covered in snow. I wanted to stop & get a picture, but the road was actually rather busy - well as busy as this road ever gets - with lots of hunters so I didn't take the chance. I did snap the photo below on the way home from my moms. They got a ton of snow about an inch & it was sticking nicely to everything. In fact, my dad thrilled my boys by tossing a couple of small snowballs at my car as we left.

I took a different route home & once I was a bit further south the roads cleared right up & pretty soon they were even dry. For the record, even though we live further west & in the more mountainous are of the state, we have no snow at all. My parents live further north of us & they can keep all that early snow!

1 comment:

  1. Those cookies look good, the more the merrier with sprinkles!

    Glad the ride went well despite the bad weather.

    ReplyDelete

Oh thank goodness! I'm not here all alone. Thanks for leaving me a comment. It helps that I'm not always talking to myself. Right? Hello?