Sunday, November 1, 2009

Review: abcteach

Photobucket

If you have ever done any type of search on-line for a free resource to go with a study, chances are abcteach showed up in your search. With over 5,000 FREE printables, it comes up a lot. I know I've checked it out a time or two. Then I would get frustrated when the exact thing I want is a member only page. So I was pretty happy when the TOS Homeschool Crew members were given a one month membership to the whole site in order to check out all they have to offer.

Let me tell you - it's a lot!

There are 5,000 free printables but once you become a paying member ($40 a year with group discounts available) that jumps to over another 30,000 printables with new ones added daily!

I have done memberships to similar sites in the past, but I have to say, I've been very impressed by abcteach thus far. In fact, after I was gasping, ooohing, aahhing, and just generally beyond thrilled by all I was finding on their site, I knew I had to sign up. And in order to keep this a very honest review, TOS Crew members were allowed to sign up for 1/2 price which made it an ever sweeter deal. Homeschool Buyers Co-Op also has a group buy going on right now that offers it for 1/2 off ($20). You must be a member of Homeschool Buyers Co-Op in order to participate but membership is free. The offer goes until the end of the month. This is an extension of a previous group buy. While the $40 a year is worth it, I feel the $20 a year makes it more affordable.

If you are a workbox user, this site has some really fun ideas that I have been including in the boys workboxes. A great one I like to use - to see if they are paying attention & following directions - are "glyphs." You can see an example of one by clicking HERE. There are 19 free ones and another 40+ ones in the members only area.

There are not just boring worksheets here. Some of the things I have printed are bingo games for car rides, things we spy on nature walks or in the grocery store, reading comprehension pages on various topics (computers for one), and tons of printables to create mini-offices and/or interactive bulletin boards to use as part of the school day.

One feature I still haven't had a lot of time to play with is their "abctools." This allows you to create custom documents and worksheets to fit your children and what you are learning. However, this is only available to members. But I'm sure I'll have a chance to play with it throughout the year.

I highly recommend this site. You can click HERE to see the subject areas that are covered.


*Disclaimer: I was not paid for this review. All opinions shared are my own. TOS Crew Members are given the product free of charge in order to review it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Oh thank goodness! I'm not here all alone. Thanks for leaving me a comment. It helps that I'm not always talking to myself. Right? Hello?