Monday, November 9, 2009

Review: American Heritage Education Foundation

Photobucket


“If a nation expects
to be ignorant and free,
in a state of civilization,
it expects what never was
and never will be.”
Thomas Jefferson

American Heritage Education Foundation (AHEF) is actually another company I had heard of prior to being on the TOS Homeschool Crew. Crew members were sent a copy of AHEF's CD of materials and lessons plans for grades K-12. I had actually requested this a year ago for my own family prior to my term on the Crew. And, well, I may have forgotten about that until I received it again. Yes, well, on to the review!

Taken from AHEF's website (because they said it far better than I could):

Our Mission
AHEF is a non-profit, non-partisan educational foundation dedicated to the understanding and teaching of America's factual and philosophical heritage to promote constructive citizenship and Freedom, Unity, Progress, and Responsibility among our students and citizens.

AHEF accomplishes this patriotic mission by writing, producing, and distributing FREE K-12 lesson plans to teachers, students, and families in all 50 states and through additional initiatives, programs, and partnerships.

AHEF accomplishes this mission by creating a CD of lesson plans for grades K-12 (and sending it out for FREE) all about American History. Did you catch that? It's FREE! In fact, if you have a nice high speed connection, you can download them off their website (scroll down halfway) right now! If you'd rather get a printed version, you can order one in a 3-ring binder for $19.50.

The CD has all the lessons plans separated by grade level. There is a section for elementary as well as the elementary level in Spanish. I didn't quite understand this until I realized they are a Texas based company. There is also a middle school and a high school level. The Crew was given their "National Edition" to review but if you live in Texas (do any of my readers live there? Do tell!), they also have a Texas based version as well.

The elementary & middle school versions cover the years from 1776 up to the year 2000. The high school version starts back in 1622 with the Mayflower Compact. I really like how it brings in all the documents that make us a country from the Declaration of Independence to the US Constitution.

It is quite full of some wonderful lesson plans that not only teach about the founding of our country but also themes such as freedom, responsibility, progress, and unity. Those themes are taught no matter which level one chooses to go with.

If you have a wide range of students at home, this is a nice resource to add some fun things to your study on American History without having to have multiple resources for each grade.

Don't forget to check out what the other TOS Homeschool Crew members are saying!


*Disclaimer: I was not paid for this review. All opinions shared are my own. TOS Crew Members are given the product free of charge in order to review it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Oh thank goodness! I'm not here all alone. Thanks for leaving me a comment. It helps that I'm not always talking to myself. Right? Hello?