Friday, November 20, 2009

Review: Exploramania GyMathtics

Photobucket

Exploramania is a unique company. One I had not heard of before receiving a copy of their video GyMathtics to review as part of the TOS Homeschool Crew. GyMathtics is an interesting product. It takes exercise and combines it with math lessons. I know! Unfortunately, I could not interest my boys in doing the exercises at all. I'm really not sure why. They certainly see me doing enough exercise videos around here.

Having said that, I did feel the video was rather interesting. It's obvious that it is an amateur production but it does take math facts such as skip counting while doing jumping jacks during the "Counting Calisthenics" workout or describing various geometry concepts while doing the "Shape Stretches Warm Up" or the "Well-Being Cool Down." I do have to admit that I found it rather cheesy at times. However, considering it is geared towards 2nd-5th graders, it works well for that age range. I do think combining the kinesthetic movements with the math facts is a really good concept & would help in retaining them.

This would be something neat to have on hand if your child was struggling with certain math facts or you lived in a cold climate (like I do!) & your kids may need something to get some of their energy out during the long winter months. (My boys will be revisiting doing this video about mid-January I think. That's about when cabin fever sets in & we need to burn some energy.)

Exploramania sells the the DVD (as well as the second in the series) through their site for $24.99. They also have a few retailers in Florida and Michigan which carry the product as well as some on-line retailers such as Amazon. You can see a full list by clicking HERE.


*Disclaimer: I was not paid for this review. All opinions shared are my own. TOS Crew Members are given the product free of charge in exchange for our unbiased opinion of the product.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Oh thank goodness! I'm not here all alone. Thanks for leaving me a comment. It helps that I'm not always talking to myself. Right? Hello?