I'm back for a 2nd week of the "Random Dozen." It's fun - join in & sign up here.
1. So I was thinking about how Jon Bon Jovi never seems to age much. His hair is smaller nowadays, but he still manages to look like a boy somehow. And then that made me think of the story of Dorian Gray. Question: If you physically lock in one age for yourself, which would you choose and why?
Hmmm, this is really a tough question. I think I'd have to go "pre-kid" simply because all my muscles were still tight - relatively speaking - and I wasn't as overweight as I am today. So I'll go with age 21. But overall, I do like where I'm at now - I just my muscles were still 21 or even 17 as long as the rest of me stays the age I am.
2. What is the best dish that you cook or bake (your piece de resistance?) Another tough question for me. As I've aged, I've become a better cook - ask hubby. Although given a preference I'm a much better "baker" than cook/chef. I need to work on that. Whenever we have company I either make a pot roast (New England boiled dinner) with carrots and potatoes or homemade from scratch pizza. As for baking - too many to pick from I think. I tend not to like making cookies as I feel they are time consuming. I guess my "go-to" here would be "congo bars."
3. When you feel blue, what is one strategy you use to help yourself back to normal? Sleep but now that I have three kids that doesn't happen often. I tend to veg out on the computer - read blogs and play lots of Bejeweled Blitz on Facebook. If it's really bad, I may eat chocolate in copious amounts. I also try to get time away & alone, even if it's just to the grocery store. I've struggled with mild depression for years and years so sometimes I feel very blue & just need time and space away (along with copious amounts of chocolate). Other times a few games of Bejeweled fixes me right up. I also love to listen to worship music & sing. When I was younger I would play the piano but I haven't had one of those available to me now for years.
4. When was the last time you danced in public? Public? Um...let's see...slow dance - probably my husband's cousin's wedding back in 2007 - maybe? I don't dance in public unless absolutely forced to & that hasn't happened for a long time apparently since I can't recall it.
5. Do you consider yourself a realist or dreamer? Probably a bit of both but more of a dreamer than a realist. I make up for it though - I'm married to an engineer. He keeps me well rooted in reality if I get too far out there.
6. As a parent, what is one thing that you have done well? Making sure they listen and obey. At times it certainly doesn't feel like it, but whenever we are out with others - in public even - I am complemented on how well they behave. They are all also very affectionate - even our teenager. It's not unusually for him to come up & ask for hugs. My six year old still likes to cuddle. We're blessed by our boys.
7. Which is your favorite character on the Andy Griffith show? Hold the tomatoes....I've never seen an episode. I know what the show is about & I've seen clips, but never a whole episode. I know - it's shocking.
8. On a scale of 1-10, how much do you know about Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.? Probably a 5 - and that's up to that point simply because of the mini-unit study we did on Dr. King on Monday in honor of his birthday.
9. Have you never been mellow? Have you never tried … to find a comfort from in side you? (Sorry, Jorge was singing that song just now, and it just seemed to be perfect timing as I was creating this week’s questions.) REAL question: What is your #1 driving pet peeve? My #2 driving pet peeve...people who tailgate me. Drives me CRAZY! And just a warning, I have been known to slow down in a rather fast manner if I can't even SEE the headlights on the vehicle behind me. Just saying...
10. Which color best represents your mood today? Care to elaborate? Gray - it's winter. I am never fully happy in the winter. There is too much snow and too much cold and too much darkness.
11. If your spouse were an animal, which would he be? Since hubby reads my blog, I'd best answer carefully. Hmmmmm.....I can't. Elephant....cause he's smart. Um....puppy....cause he likes to cuddle. Not sure I want to keep going on this one.
12. What activity takes up the bulk of your time on an average day? Schooling my boys and computer time for me. And sadly the computer sometimes wins out.