Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Wednesday Hodgepodge


1. Are the leaves turning color where you live? Have they begun to fall? Will you have to rake when it's all said and done? Is that a chore you love or loathe? It seems like the leaves began to turn overnight and they are falling fast! I hate that fall seems to go by so quickly. It's one of my favorite seasons! We have no large trees near our house so we don't have to rake - thankfully! Raking is not a favorite activity although I don't loathe it.

2. When did you last shake like a leaf? A few months ago I had a car pull out in front of me as I was driving. The adrenaline rush hit hard and fast. 

3. After 20 seasons with the NY Yankees, Derek Jeter played his last official game Sunday afternoon. Jeter has been described even by opponents as a 'class act', both on and off the field. The NFL is back in action this month too, with several players in that sport also making headlines. What are your thoughts on athletes as role models? I think there are much better role models out there for people. However, given the spotlight most athletes are in, I think it's just par for the course. 

Should a professional athlete be expected to act as role model or is that going beyond their job description? I'm not a huge fan of any professional athlete. I think they are overpaid and too many people make them out to be above the rest of the citizenship. They are just good at playing a game. So while I think it is above and beyond, I think it just goes hand and hand. (I wonder how many more cliches I can use...)

What responsibility do the organizations these athletes work for have when it comes to dealing with off the field behavior? I think they need to hold them to a higher standard given how many people do look up to them. I also think they need to hold them fully responsible for their actions - no matter what.

4. What season of the year is toughest for you in terms of your health? Why? Winter. The cold weather begins to wear on me after a few months. Although, I'd much rather be cold than hot. I don't like having to get bundled up to go outside though. That's one reason I love fall so much, I can just wear a long-sleeved T-shirt, slip on shoes, jeans, and call it good. Now that I live in a house with a lot of light in the winter months - thanks to lots of windows - it's not as hard as it used to be on my mental health. I used to have SAD - seasonal affective disorder.

5. The top six healthy food trends of 2014 according to Eating Well are-

clean eating (more veg, less meat, less sodium, limit alcohol and processed foods)
trash fish (you know those fish that get caught in fishermen nets and are thrown back? It seems chefs are finding creative ways to make them more appetizing)
cauliflower (this year's IT vegetable)
kaniwa (essentially baby quinoa, so like quinoa only smaller)
fermentation (think pickling except with twists on flavor we're not accustomed to)
community supported food (farms operating with community support/membership).

Okay-so how many of the hot healthy food trends for 2014 have you experienced, encountered, enjoyed? Any you've tried and said ewwww? Any on the list you'd like to try before year's end? I've been loosely following the Trim Healthy Mama eating plan. So I do a lot of clean eating although I occasionally eat something not very clean. Although, their plan doesn't call one to eat more veggies or limit meat. It's really all about how one fuels their body. They teach how to eat low carb and healthy fats - but in separate meals - and how to combine them to help burn fuel efficiently. It's not complicated once you get the hang of it but there is a learning curve. I don't drink alcohol so that's not an issue for me. 

I have tried cauliflower. In particular, I attempted cauliflower pizza where you grind up the steamed cauliflower in a blender, drain very well, and then mix with mozzarella cheese, egg, and spices to form a crust. I didn't get enough water out of mine so it was a bit too moist, but not bad. I'd still like to try it again. 

I've also had quinoa but not kaniwa. I would assume it would taste similar. I want to start using this more often (quinoa) as it's so healthy for you.

I'm not a big fan of anything fermented so that is not top on my list of things to try. 

I'm also not a member of a CSA. There aren't many such things where I live in Maine anyway. Most people have their own farms or small gardens. 

6. In seven words or less, bid September adieu. Fleeting. 

7. What's something on your October calendar that makes you happy just thinking about it? Outlander Day. I've been a fan of Diana Gabaldon's book series for years. I own all but the last book, which just came out in June, both in paperback and Kindle. I'm currently re-reading them for, oh, the sixth or so time so I can fully enjoy the newest one. 

In August, the cable network Starz began airing a new TV show, called Outlander, based on Diana's books. I've loved every second of it. In my opinion, they have done a great job bringing the characters to life. 

I have a number of friends who are fans of the books as well, but do not have cable television. Starz opted to air only eight episodes (the last in that series was last Saturday). In April they will air the next eight episodes of Season 1. So next Saturday, I'm hosting an "Outlander Day" where any of my friends who haven't seen it or even those who have, will come for a marathon viewing of all eight episodes. Let me know if you'd like to join us!

8. Insert your own random thought here.


I bought this canvas print last month while on a shopping trip with family. It was my last purchase of the day and my absolute favorite! I just put it up on the wall on Sunday afternoon. I keep stopping to just look at it because I love it so much. It's huge too - about three feet by two feet. It will only hang in this spot until we put in a garage though. After that it will have to find a new wall to hang on as there will be a big window where it's hanging now. 

1 comment:

  1. I have not read any of the Outlander series or seen the show, although we do get Starz. I might have to put that on my winter reading list. Fall does seem to be the shortest season, although here it feels like we sometimes skip spring. Fall is my favorite. Enjoy yours!

    ReplyDelete

Oh thank goodness! I'm not here all alone. Thanks for leaving me a comment. It helps that I'm not always talking to myself. Right? Hello?