Monday, November 6, 2006

Field Trip Day

This morning we met up with two other families to check out the Cole Family Transportation Museum. http://www.colemuseum.org/index.cfm We went once earlier in the fall, but this time we had a tour guide set up especially for us. He is a family friend of one of the mom's who went with us. He was great. A very nice elderly gentleman who had been a train engineer in Maine. (N loved this!) He took us through everything & told us bits of history about a lot of the things there. It's just so neat to see all that history sitting there.


From there we headed over to K's Mom's house (one of the homeschooling moms) to eat our lunch. J had not napped at all on the way there. He was just dozing off when a VeggieTales song came on the radio (Song of the Saboo I think) & he perked right up. He really LOVES VeggieTales right now! That was the end of him falling asleep. My guys were all "starving" so I gave them their lunch to eat on the way over there. When we got there we went in, but had already eaten while everyone else had their lunch. K's Mom got out some toys for my boys to play with while we waited. (We were heading over to the Orono Bog Boardwalk after.) Well, N & J started arguing & fighting over the toys. I had spoken to them twice about sharing & stopping the noise & even K talked with once about sharing. It didn't stop. I finally went in & told them to pick up all the toys & we were going to go home since they couldn't seem to behave.

Well, N literally stood there & began screaming at the top of his lungs. He's five btw. I put my hand over his mouth to stifle the noise. He's LOUD when he does this. I think he is going through a growth spurt right now as he has been having more meltdowns lately. This really reinforced my need to take the home. I knew that J was tired, but after this display, I also figured that N was too.

I bundled both of them up & put them in my truck. Then said our goodbyes, gathered up B, & headed home. I took a different route home which added an extra 30 minutes to the drive. It's normally a 1-1/2 hour drive to Bangor. N ended up falling asleep before I was too far out of Bangor as did J. N slept for an hour & J slept just about the entire time home.

Things got a bit better at home, but then ended up downhill again. Both of the older boys ended up in their rooms around 5:30 to wait there until Daddy got home. N had another meltdown. So it's not all tied to being tired. B was just antagonizing his brothers.

We then had dinner. I made spaghetti. N & B refused to eat it. B had a slice of peanut butter bread (our only concession to having to eat family dinner & what is served - we also have been offering bread & peanut butter - they get only once slice). N ate two small piece of mozzarella cheese. He refused the bread since I refused to take the crust off. [sigh] J, on the other hand, loved eating his spaghetti. As a result Daddy sent the two older boys to bed directly after dinner (it was just about 7pm so a half hour to an hour earlier than normal). J & I went over to Grammie's for a visit. Daddy is out in the addition he is building finishing up the insulation. It will be SO nice to have that room done!!!!



And THAT was the start of our week.

1 comment:

  1. I guess I'm not the only one that didn't have a great day...although, I think yours sounded worse! LOL

    I would have been sad to miss the bog place, but I guess I wouldn't want to see it with fussy kids.

    Hang in there with the meals...they'll come around.

    ReplyDelete

Oh thank goodness! I'm not here all alone. Thanks for leaving me a comment. It helps that I'm not always talking to myself. Right? Hello?