Saturday, May 17, 2008

Academic Finale

For the first time this year our homeschooling group did a year end presentation. We had ten children participate which was a pretty good turnout. We had the children just share some of the things they had learned over the course of the year.

N worked on this train lapbook. We found it at Homeschool Share. N loves trains. He lives & breathes trains! He plays a train simulator game on the computer where he drives a real train - different kinds. He has many different train sets & still plays with them daily. In fact, next year I'm going to do one special project with each boy. N, no surprise here, has picked trains.


B started asking me about the election process during the primary elections here in our state. At about that time I heard about a free 12-week unit study on the election process for the elementary grades. Homeschool Share also had a free election lapbook that we did as well. He had a really good time with this. We also attended the one-day TeenPact seminar for 8-12 year olds. He loved it which surprised me. He got right up & talked in front of everyone with no problem. Sometimes he holds back so I was surprised (although so proud!) that he had no hesitation. We're looking forward to going back again next year.


One little boy brought a volcano & let all the other kids put together the baking powder & vinegar for an "explosion." My guys really loved that.



All in all it was a fun morning. It was a great way to end our homeschool support group for the summer. We'll do some fun field trips but we'll suspend meetings until the fall. Yeah summer!

1 comment:

  1. FUN! We have some kids from our co-op who go to Teen Pact each year. Perhaps I'll send our 11 yo this year. Thanks for the election study. That might be something fun to do this summer.

    ReplyDelete

Oh thank goodness! I'm not here all alone. Thanks for leaving me a comment. It helps that I'm not always talking to myself. Right? Hello?