Sunday, September 26, 2010

ISO: My Motivation


During my blog reading today, I came across something interesting. It's a weight loss challenge called the Hot 100. It started on September 23rd (but you have until October 1st to sign up) and from that point until December 31st, there are only 100 days left in 2010. Let's just move past the fact that there are only 100 days left in the year and focus on what that has to do with this challenge.

The Hot 100 is hosted by South Beach Steve at his blog, Log My Loss. The goal of the challenge is simple: make some positive changes to help with weight loss during the last 100 days of the year. There are currently 70+ people who have signed up. I'm now one of them.

Participation is easy. The motivation part may be hard. To participate I need to simply list at least three goals for myself here. (drum roll please) I will be focusing on the following during this time:

  • Kicking my Diet Mt. Dew habit for good (more on this in a minute)
  • Exercising for at least 30 minutes 4-5 days a week.
  • Limiting carbs (as a diabetic, it's easiest for me to count these) to 45-50 per meal and 15 per snack
  • Using my tracking forms for food, blood sugars, and exercise (it's my own design) at least 5-6 days a week.
  • Going to bed no later than 11pm every night.
Yes, that's more than three and I'm sure I'll toss in some mini-goals for myself as well.

Recently I've realized that I'm not living life fully. I'm gliding through. I'm letting things and stuff and schedules slow me down. I need to change a lot of things and find my motivation. It's been missing now for a while. I continue to say "I want to loose weight" or "I want to get healthier" but I still am not making those changes I need to in order to meet that goal. I'm making those changes now.

I have been a lover drinker of Diet Mt. Dew for at least 10 years. Prior to being diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes, I used to drink either grape soda or full bore Mt. Dew. Recently I read something very interesting about not allowing any food or drink to become your idol. It's time I smashed mine. Addictions to anything are hard to kick, but I know that is what I have for my Diet Dew. Please pray for me as I work this week on kicking that habit for good. Oh, and if you see me in real life and I'm a bit cranky, well, you'll know why. 

I will be posting weekly updates. If you don't see one, bug me about it, please? I will need the accountability. 

And I'm even tossing in a photo....taken just a few weeks ago....we'll call this "before."



5 comments:

  1. Welcome to the Hot 100! We can encourage and pray for each other.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck Lisa! I will be praying for you in this area!
    I'm also taking to heart the idol thing... I think I have a few in my life too ie: morning espresso!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome to the HOT 100! Let's do this :) What a wonderful 100 days this will be!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Prayers for success! I've been using the Nutrisystem diet(Glycemic Index). If you like I can copy down the diabetic meal schedule for you, or just mail you my booklet with the eating schedule and food categories. I've lost 20 pounds using it. There is a cookbook you can buy online, or just buy the meals off ebay. I found some Nutrisystem meals at Big Lots for a dollar each. The big thing I've learned is portion control. I save the Nutrisystem plastic trays so that I can measure my own food. The evening dessert has helped a lot! I really don't feel like I'm on a diet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have some great goals. I need to work on not only being in bed on time but trying to go to sleep on time instead of reading.

    ReplyDelete

Oh thank goodness! I'm not here all alone. Thanks for leaving me a comment. It helps that I'm not always talking to myself. Right? Hello?