Friday, July 13, 2012

{Crew Review} Professor B

Photobucket

Math. I certainly do not have a good relationship with numbers. It dates all the way back to fourth grade and the teacher who took almost an instant dislike to me. I had been the quintessential "teacher's pet" up until that point. Math was hard for me. And it still is in some regards. I definitely do not enjoy using it or teaching it. Sadly, this sometimes gets passed along to my boys.

Professor B gets that! Unlike most online learning programs, Professor B is designed to complete three years of math learning in only one year. Professor B was begun by Everard Barrett back in the 1970s in New York when, while using his teaching methodology now found in Professor B, he enabled fifth and sixth grades to outperform ninth graders on a standardized test for Algebra. 

   Photobucket

There are three levels to be found in Professor B, but remember each level covers three years of math in just one year.
  • Level I for Pre-K to 2nd grade (or remediation of older students) covers: Introduction to Addition/Subtraction Facts, Counting to 100, Lower Addition/Subtraction, Higher Addition/Subtraction, Place Value, Fractional Parts & Order, Time, & Money
  • Level II for 3rd-5th grade (or remediation of older students) covers: Multiplication/Division Facts, Problem Solving, Introduction to Fractions, Fractional Equivalence, and Addition/Subtraction of Fractions
  • Level III for 6th-8th grade (or remediation of older students) covers: Multiplication/Division of Fractions, Decimals and Percents
Professor B has a placement test (bottom right of the screen)  if you are unsure which level your child would need.  Pricing for Professor B is as follows:
  • Monthly 1 child = $20/month
  • Monthly 2 children = $20/month for the first child & $15/month for the 2nd child (must be purchased at the same time)
  • Monthly 3 children = $20/month for the first child, $15/month for the 2nd child & $10/month for the third child  (must be purchased at the same time)
  • Yearly access to any one level = $100 for 36 months of access
If you are interested in trying it out for free, Professor B is offering a 30 Day free trial. You must call them to receive it. The number to call is 678-765-6655.

I used Levels 1 & 2 with my boys. I have an emerging 3rd grade and two older children who need help with their multiplication and division facts. The program is designed specifically to be used with the parent and child together. Since I'm teaching three students at different levels, this was a bit hard for me to do. If I am using an online product, I specifically chose that method in order to free up my time to work with one of my other boys.

I like this concept, but I'm not sure the online method for Professor B was the best fit for us. However, they also offer workbooks that teach the same concepts. I'm actually considering purchasing Level II to use with my middle son for this fall.

Be sure to head over to the Schoolhouse Review Crew blog to see what my fellow Crew members had to say about Professor B.


Photobucket



Disclaimer: I was not paid for this review.  All opinions shared are my own. Schoolhouse Review Crewmembers  are given the product free of charge in exchange for our unbiased opinion of the product.   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Oh thank goodness! I'm not here all alone. Thanks for leaving me a comment. It helps that I'm not always talking to myself. Right? Hello?