Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Wednesday Hodgepodge

 

1. The month of July was named for Roman Emperor Julius Caesar. He's quoted as saying, 'Experience is the teacher of all things." So what has experience taught you lately?

What hasn't experience taught me lately? In fact, my hubby and I were just having this very conversation. It is very true that wisdom comes with age and we are certainly feeling wiser by the day.

2. Where did you last 'roam'? 


We went to visit my aunt and uncle in Massachusetts last month. We had a great time spending time at the beach and just hanging out.



3. Speaking of 'Rome'...pizza, pasta, gelato...you can only pick one, which would you choose?

Pizza. Hands down!

4. 'Rome wasn't built in a day', 'All roads lead to Rome', 'When in Rome...' which 'Roman' idiom have you most recently encountered? Explain.

I'm blanking. If I had to pick one, I'd probably go with 'Rome wasn't built in a day.' It's the end of our homeschool year and I need to get my oldest son's transcript done. I have the info but I need to put it into a workable form. That led me to think about all the other projects I have and so I created a "project list." I need to remember it's going to take a bit to complete them all.

5. What's a movie you've seen or a book you've read, that makes you want to book a trip to Italy?

Um....Ratatouille? I honestly can't think of one off the top of my head.

6.  Walt's original Disneyland opened almost sixty years ago, on July 17, 1955  Have you ever been to the California park? How about any of the other Disney parks around the world? What's your favorite amusement park ride or attraction?

I've never been to any. I think that one day I'd like to go but I also am not a huge fan of big crowds so just not sure how that would go either. My boys would love to go to Legoland some day as well. We'll see. As for rids, I have an inner ear issue that makes me get dizzy on spinning things quickly so I'd need to pass on most of them.

7. It's that time of year...when were you last bitten or stung?

Ha! I live in Maine. It's bug "season" right now. I have a few bug bites on me and will until fall when all the bugs die. I have one on my big toe where a mosquito bit me right under my sandal!

8.  Insert your own random thought here. 

I live in Maine. Yesterday we had the second tornado watch in the last three years. Three years ago one (a small one) came through the town I used to live in. It dropped baseball sized hail on our house and did $3,000 worth of damage to my truck (lots of dents and cracked the windshield in two places). It took out a lot of trees but did no other property damage. 


Photo from the 2011 hailstorm/tornado
This is my hubby's hand. He took this photo an hour after the hail had landed. All those white balls on the ground behind him - more hail.

Tornado damage from 2011

Yesterday we had another warning. Definitely rare for our part of the world - thankfully. We had nothing more than some major clouds rolling through and some massive rain. Last I heard there was damage in other parts of the state but I haven't heard if an actual tornado hit. 

1 comment:

  1. Maine gets those big black flies in the summer, don't they? We've had some crazy weather lately too. Three straight days of big thunder/lightning storms. It's been a wet summer here. Winter too! Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Oh thank goodness! I'm not here all alone. Thanks for leaving me a comment. It helps that I'm not always talking to myself. Right? Hello?