Wednesday, November 5, 2014

The Importance of A Titus 2 Woman

Image courtesy of graur razvan ionut at FreeDigitalPhotos.net

I was blessed this past spring to attend the ladies retreat my church hosted. They brought in a wonderful woman, Margie Harryman, from upstate New York to discuss the importance of Titus 2 in our lives. Margie has the type of testimony that makes you just simply sit in awe knowing how God had wonderful things planned for her and changed a life dramatically to live for Him. It was evident in all that she shared with us that day.

"Older women likewise are to be reverent in behavior, 
not slanderers or slaves to much wine. 
They are to teach what is good, 
and so train the young women to 
love their husbands and 
children, to be self-controlled [sober], 
pure, working at home, kind, and submissive
to their own husbands, that the word of God
 may not be reviled." 
Titus 2:3-5

Margie has been teaching a Titus 2 study for years at her church. Essentially our ladies retreat was a very compressed version of a much longer study. She spoke about each thing a Titus 2 woman needs to be. There are eight things and she spoke about each one for an hour.

What should a Titus 2 woman be?
  • Sober minded
  • Loving to her husband
  • Loving to her children
  • Discreet
  • Pure
  • Busy at home
  • Good
  • Submissive
Just a few months ago, one of the woman in my church, my friend Molly, started a longer Bible study based on Margie's own book about these very attributes. When Molly lived in New York, she had the privilege of knowing Margie and sitting in on her TItus 2 study. She's been able to bring that experience here for all of us to benefit from. We've been having some great discussion among the women at our study. I rearranged my schedule in order to attend this current Titus 2 study and I have not regretted that once. It's been nothing short of amazing. Hard and difficult at times, but amazing.

We have a range of ages in our group. In fact, it's not even being led by the oldest one there. We have ladies attending who have very young ones, ladies (like me) with tweens and teens, and finally women who are grandmothers with their children grown and gone. So not only are we learning from the book we're using, but also from each other.

So why do I think studying Titus 2 and putting those things God has called us to do as women in to practice is so important? Well, the first part of that sentence should be enough..."God has called us to to" these things as women. It's His design. It also makes us better wives and mothers and women. Who wouldn't want that?

That is also why I started writing for the Dear Daughter blog. This is a group of women whom I have known online for years. We all have a heart for helping younger women learn to grow in their faith. Just as Titus 2 calls the older women to teach the younger women, that is what we are trying to do on this blog. It's especially for younger women who may not have a mother or anyone to teach them these things.

I have also decided to share what I'm learning through my Titus 2 Bible study. Over the next few weeks I'll share about each of the attributes above in the order I listed them. I have to say that I have found this study to be life-changing for me and, honestly, I didn't think I was that bad off beforehand! However, it's given me greater insight into God's will for my life. And that has made all the difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Oh thank goodness! I'm not here all alone. Thanks for leaving me a comment. It helps that I'm not always talking to myself. Right? Hello?