Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Meet Maggie


This little sweetie joined our family today. It's been many, many years since we've had a cat in our house. After we were first married, my hubby adopted a cat for me and gave her to me for my 22nd birthday. She was a tortoiseshell colored. Her name was McKenna. Sadly she passed away suddenly when she was only nine years old. 

This was my McKenna.

My hubby is not a big fan of cats. He's definitely a dog person. As a result we've just never had another cat. Every so often I'd mention wanting to get another one. My boys all wanted one too, but my hubby was adamant he didn't want another one. He thinks they are smelly and I will admit that the litter box can get nasty at times. 

This  past Sunday, however, we were driving to church and saw a "Free Kittens" sign on our way. I, of course, made mention of it and we talked some about why I like cats so much. They fit with my personality very well!

On Sunday we dropped our youngest son off at camp. It's the first time he's been to a "sleep away" camp. He was struggling with the goodbyes. He was excited to go but had a rough transition. I had a bit of a weepy moment myself on the way home. Then suddenly my hubby pulls into the driveway to the house with the "Free Kittens" sign. What?!

He decided that since I wanted one so badly, it was time. Unfortunately, we couldn't make contact with the home owner so we left. I went back the next evening with my boys. Again, while the house was open, no one answered our knocking so we left again.

When we got home I did a bit of computer sleuthing and looked up the last name that was on the house as well as the address and I found a phone number. I called and talked to a very nice lady and made an appointment to go over in this morning to pick out one (or more!) kittens.

My hubby thwarted my plan, however. He very wisely told me this morning, "One! Only one!" He knows me a bit too well.


As soon as I saw this little one poke her head out from under the bed she was hiding under, I knew I wanted her. She instantly reminded me of McKenna. 

The woman who had her had named her Margaret. I decided to keep that name but call her Maggie. She is so tiny and very sweet. She's settling in very well.

She was purring while I rubbed her belly.



She slept for about an hour on the table by the computer while my son played on the computer. 
She is very well socialized.


For now we are keeping her in our downstairs bathroom. While our dog seems completely unimpressed by her, I don't want to take a chance, especially at night when we're all sleeping. 

This afternoon while I was holding Maggie, our dog, Annie, came up and really seemed to notice the kitten for the first time. Annie looked at me, huffed at me, and then turned her back and laid down. She was clearly not happy about our newest addition!

Earlier they were both in the living room while my middle son was playing with Maggie. Again, Annie had her back to the kitten (she is the most expressive dog I've ever met) and little Maggie (who probably weighs no more than 4-5 ounces - seriously - she's small) started trying to hiss and arch her back, but couldn't quite figure out the whole arching the back thing. So funny. 

We are all enjoying having her here. Well, maybe not my hubby or Annie, but the rest of us are thrilled!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Oh thank goodness! I'm not here all alone. Thanks for leaving me a comment. It helps that I'm not always talking to myself. Right? Hello?