Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Wednesday Hodgepodge

 

1. It's officially summer (in the northern hemisphere anyway). Which summer month is best and why?

I'm going with June. Yes, summer is only half of the month, but I don't like heat so it's still cool enough that I find it comfortable - typically. We've had very hot Junes as well. 

2. Can you swim? How did you learn? June 27th is National Sunglasses Day. How many pair do you own?

Not well. I only took lessons one summer while at Girl Scout camp and it took most of the first week for me just to put my head underwater. I have a slight fear of the water dating back to an incident when I was a child. I do enjoy the water, but I am not a good swimmer at all. It's the biggest reason I made sure my kids took lessons. 

I own one pair of sunglasses that fit over my regular eyeglasses, a pair that clips to the front of my eyeglasses, and one pair of regular sunglasses I can wear if I have my contacts in. 

3. What characteristic do you judge most harshly in yourself? How about in others?

Myself: procrastination  Others: Selfishness

4. Robert Frost wrote the now well known poem entitled The Road Not Taken. What's a road (literal or figurative) you've always wanted to travel, and where do you hope it takes you?

I have wanderlust. I would absolutely love to travel more. Perhaps in the future when my kids are grown and gone. My hubby and I took a week long trip to Canada almost three years ago now for our 20th anniversary. I enjoyed every minute of it. I'd love to see more countries (only been to Canada and England) and more of the US (never been further south than DC or further west than PA/NY). 

5. Popsicles-yay or nay? If you answered yay, what's your favorite flavor?

Nay. I loved them as a kid, but I haven't eaten one as an adult in forever. Favorite flavors were "red" and orange. 

6. Brexit-on a scale of 1-10 how knowledgeable are you on what's involved here? (1=very knowledgeable and 10=what's Brexit) Is this news you'll follow or is it something you think won't impact your life in any way shape or form?

I'd say about a 6-7 - I know enough that I realize the impact it has on the world. I know it will impact everyone but I'm honestly unsure of the extent. I know it was very big news though. 

7. Share a favorite song on your summer play list.

Justin Timberlake - Can't Stop the Feeling - working on learning a routine so I can use it in my Zumba classes. 




8. Insert your own random thought here.

This crew (including my middle son - front row right #33) left on Sunday for a mission trip to upstate New York. They went on a work mission and are helping area residents fix up their homes. Minor carpentry and painting. I was able to talk with him today. His group plus two others are working on a home that is getting a deck rebuilt, a wheelchair ramp built, and the entire exterior of the house repainted. He was very excited about what they have been doing. 



The mission had over 400 kids coming from across the US to work on various houses throughout the area. They are broken into teams and you may or may not have someone from your home youth group in your team. He has no one he knew beforehand but assured me he has made "lots of new friends." I don't doubt it. This child has never, from the time he was very small, ever met a stranger. 

He was most excited because the home they are working on (he's on the crew doing the painting) overlooks a military airbase. He wants to be a commercial pilot one day and adores planes so this really is a highlight of the trip for him. 

1 comment:

  1. Greetings to a fellow Hodgepodger and Procrastinator. Kudos to your son for his service to others. He seems like a fine young man. Kudos to you for raising him to be such. Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete

Oh thank goodness! I'm not here all alone. Thanks for leaving me a comment. It helps that I'm not always talking to myself. Right? Hello?