Thursday, January 11, 2007

Project 365 Day 11



Yes, I'm missing some days. That was during some camera issues. So - here we are on Day 11. The photo is of my youngest son - not the greatest but truly the only photo I took on January 11th.

My two older boys attend A.W.A.N.A. which is a church based program. It stands for Approved Workman Are Not Ashamed & is based on a verse in 1 Timothy 2:15. It's similar to Boys Scouts/Girl Scouts but all the genders are together. They earn patches based on Bible memorization & other activities. For instance, both boys earned a "Adopt-A-Club" patch for bringing in $5 worth of quarters each to help benefit needy Awana clubs. My oldest son is now participating in Awana Bible Quizzing & will earn a patch for that as well. They have a lot of fun with it.

At the start of the year & when they start a new level they have to complete a "gate" which is a small paper pamphlet with six steps they have to learn. For instance, N had to learn the Sparks Motto, John 3:16, the Pledge of Allegiance, the Pledge to the Awana flag, something I can't remember now & the Sparks song. He finally was able to do this just after the Christmas break.

His excitement that night was so fun to watch! At the end of each Awana night they present any awards that are won. They gave him his new handbook. He stood at the front of the church jumping up & down in excitement yelling, "Mom! I got my book! I got my book!!!" LOL And yes, the camera was in the car that night.... [sigh]

Now, the funny part about this is that I already had a book & uniform from him. We had briefly tried Awana a couple years ago & B only finished the first 4-5 sections in his book so I covered the signatures with white stickers & had a uniform as well. They aren't that costly but can add up & did save me about $20 with reusing it. I had explained to him that he already had a book & we would have to return the new one given to him that night. Well, on this night I had brought in his uniform for him so it could be presented. They called his name & went up & started saying, "But I already have one at home!" LOL I finally had to tell him that it was okay, he could take it as it WAS the one from home!

They all love going to Awana & seem to really be learning quite a bit. J can't wait until he is old enough to go in the fall. They have a Cubbies group that is for 3 & 4 year olds & he is very excited to have his turn!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Oh thank goodness! I'm not here all alone. Thanks for leaving me a comment. It helps that I'm not always talking to myself. Right? Hello?