I went to Wal-Mart on Sunday & picked up some clear plastic shoe boxes & one other larger tote. I also bought some large alphabet blocks (very cute!), and some inexpensive measuring cups & plastic mixing spoons. I had a large list of ideas of boxes to put together.
- Blocks (check - just got them & they even came with a handy little storage bag)
- Large duplos
- Real phone (check - dug it out of the yard sale items)
- mixing bowls/spoons/cups (check)
- widgets (check - although I need to go dig out the last couple to complete the set)
- margarine containers & lids (will continue to add to & they'll go in the "kitchen" box)
- tape & paper
- toddler train (made out of shoe boxes)
- dolls (like I have a ton of those around - ha!)
- bean bags (plan to make from odd socks & beans & yes, I will be sure they are tightly secured)
- contact paper
- texture touch items
- sensory bottles
- Velcro box
Now, I may not do ALL of these items & I may add to them. I also was blessed by my older sister yesterday who came for a visit. I mentioned what I had bought at Wal-Mart & she showed up with a large tote full of appropriate toys - include a small tub of Duplos. I know I have them - somewhere - so this saved me time in looking for mine. She also brought some more toy phones (which were a HUGE hit today), a Lamaze brand soft stacking ring & miscellaneous other baby toys.
I also pulled out - okay for some reason J did this today but it was perfect - the Aquadoodle pad we have. The girls LOVED it as evidenced below.
They were also thrilled when I pulled out the "cooking" box. It had two small plastic containers, the measuring cups, measuring spoons, & mixing spoons. Miss L even dumped a bowl & spoon in to the playpen for Miss H to play with. I think it was an accident but I'll take it.
I did not "de-pants" Miss H - she did that ALL by herself! She's such a big girl & yes, I did put a different pair on shortly after this. ;-)
The hardest part of today was not having both girls while we did school this morning. It wasn't that I slept in a bit later than I wanted so I missed starting my day the way I wanted to. It wasn't even doing preschool with J before tackling the rest of the school day with the two older boys. No, all that was easy. The hard part?? It was getting J & N to let the girls play with all the new toys!!! Shheessh! I had to lay down the law with them. The new rules are:
- These toys are for the babies only!
- They are only for school time!
- They are NOT to disappear in to their rooms with them as I know they will be gone forever.
- They can only play with them with my permission.
We'll see how long it lasts. The bins are stacked in my hallway so I can monitor their use both with the boys and the babies. Tomorrow I'm going to try Plan B & we'll see how it goes. I'll be sure to post.