Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Homeschool Memoirs: Routines


Hmm, this week's theme over at The Homeschool Blog Awards has me scratching my head just a bit. I'm very loose in my daily routines. It's something I really want to work on, but not something I can just pull up & share. At least I don't think so.

My plan is to start each day by 8am. My goal is to have all major schooling done by lunchtime. After lunch I'm just not good for much. I find that if we take too long of a break for lunch, getting the mail, or jumping on the computer for "just a minute" to check my e-mail I struggle to get back to the groove of schooling.

This year I'm not sure how things are really going to work until we jump in to them next week. I know it's going to take some tweaking and rearranging as we have Miss L & Miss H joining us this year. Having two toddlers around is certainly going to change any type of routine I may have had in the past. Added to that mix, J will be starting "preschool" this year & he is over the moon about that!

What I think I'm going to try is starting school still by 8am. This should actually work well since I have been getting up extra early to be sure to be ready for when the girls are dropped off in the morning.

My loosely based plan for the moment is to do preschool with J first. I would also like him to join us for our Bible study time, but other than that he will have free play. I'm also hoping to have B work more independently this year but we'll see how that goes. Since N is still an emerging reader, I know I'll have to help him some. Frankly, I don't want to miss out on history & science - I like those subjects!

I guess this just points out that I need to sit down & work on this in more detail. Yikes! I do currently have my subject plan & that does help me figure out what needs to be done on what day. Up until this year I've not had much of a plan other than to "do school" each day.

And the prayer I have for this school year is that my boys continue to grow in knowledge and learn to love the Lord with all their heart, with all their soul, and with all their strength as they grow to be godly men.

To read more homeschool routines, click on the link here.

3 comments:

  1. Just wanted to say hello. We are originally from New England and we really miss going up to Maine.
    Lisa
    www.houseofmanyblessings.blogspot

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just popped over to say hi! Saw you were from Maine (I grew up in Sanford), so thought I'd stop in.

    Have a great year homeschooling!

    Jolanthe

    ReplyDelete
  3. You'll have a busy year. It sounds like it will be a good and productive one. We also live in rural Maine, but we're not natives. I'm from NH, and my husband is from California. I think it's wonderful that you live so close to family. We haven't lived anywhere near family for many years, and I miss that.

    Have a great week!

    ~Susan

    ReplyDelete

Oh thank goodness! I'm not here all alone. Thanks for leaving me a comment. It helps that I'm not always talking to myself. Right? Hello?