Wednesday, May 25, 2011

TOS Crew Review: Eagles Wings - Considering God's Creation

Photobucket

In 1987 two homeschool families got together and began creating educational materials designed specifically for homeschooling families and Eagle's Wings Educational Materials was born. As a member of the TOS Homeschool Crew I was recently given the opportunity to check out their science curriculum - Considering God's Creation (CGC). 

Now I have a confession to make. I already know and love CGC. I had heard it mentioned in homeschooling circles for a few years. Last year I was able to purchase a used copy and loved what I saw. I was thrilled to be chosen to receive a brand new copy of both the teacher's edition and a student workbook. Before I expound on how much I enjoy this curriculum let me share the details.

Photobucket

CGC uses a lapbooking/notebooking style of learning to help teach your children in grades 2-7 about the wonders of God's creation. While it is mainly geared towards those grades, it is easily adaptable for children younger and older. In fact, I've been using it with children in grades 1, 4, & 8 with no issues. My younger one needs a bit more help while my older one could easily do this on his own. 

Covered in the program are:

  • Universe
  • Stars
  • Solar System
  • Earth
  • Light
  • Sound
  • Wind
  • Weather
  • Clouds
  • Rocks
  • Plants
  • Insects
  • Mammals
  • Reptiles
  • Birds
  • Fish
  • Amphibians
  • Food Chains
  • Reproduction and Genetics
  • Human
  • Animal Anatomy
  • Physiology

The teacher manual is scripted but not overly so. I like that. I know that I can easily open up the TM and start teaching with little to no prep time - depending on the lesson. For example, Lesson 4 is about the planets. The section pertaining to this in the TM lists the pages needed from the student workbook. It also lists all the vocabulary words and their definitions. It moves on to an introduction and activity. I love how it combines hands-on learning with the lessons. It then moves through the notebook pages giving you information for the students along with suggestions on how to convey this information to them for inclusion in the notebook pages they are creating. Finally this particular lesson ends with a "digging deeper" section which is perfect for older students doing this program along with younger siblings.

What I like:

I probably should just say everything! This is an easy, low-cost program. It's only $29.95 for both the teacher manual, one student workbook, and a CD of all the songs/poems included in the program. Additional workbooks can be purchased for $13.95 and a replacement CD can be purchased for $3. As I mentioned above, it's super easy to implement. It's God focused which is huge for me especially in a science program. I feel that this is an excellent program and I look forward to continuing to use it over the next year.

You can see samples of student pages at the bottom of the page here. Just click on "more samples."

Be sure to head over to the TOS Homeschool Crew blog to see what other Crew members had to say about this product.



Disclaimer: I was not paid for this review.  All opinions shared are my own. TOS Crew Members are given the product free of charge in exchange for our unbiased opinion of the product.

3 comments:

  1. I saw that you did the Hot 100 Challenge and found you through that list.

    I'm Tami and I have a healthy living blog. I have been a long time WW member and recently gained back a few pounds.

    I decided to get a group of bloggers and others together and host a Small Change Challenge to kick off Summer in a healthy way!

    Stop by and read about it and see if it is something you would like to join. The more people who join the more positive energy we will create!

    http://nutmegnotebook.com/2011/05/small-change-challenge/

    ReplyDelete
  2. You do such a fabulous job with your reviews! Reading them reminds me that I could never have done TOS this year! You do such a great job explaining the product with a positive spin. They are lucky to have you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You make homeschooling sound so fun! :)

    ReplyDelete

Oh thank goodness! I'm not here all alone. Thanks for leaving me a comment. It helps that I'm not always talking to myself. Right? Hello?